Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was trying to roll the old beast out to the front yard yesterday and hose it down with degreaser , Well It sure was a bear to push so i inspected the rear brakes. I noticed they werent retracting all the way.

How hard compared to like say a kawasaki Mikuni calipers are they to rebuild? I did the Kz550 I have really easy. Just wondering if these are comparable to mikuni calipers, Fronts are itentical to my kz but the rear is not. If the pistons are all pitted, does anyone here have any?

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Hardest part of the rebuild is getting the caliper off the bike, and the piston out of the the bore. Sometimes a shot of compressed air in the fluid hole does the trick.

If the pistons aren't too bad you might try some 0000 steel wool, or #600/800 wet-dry sand paper to clean them up. Aside from the usual parts outlets--- Bike Bandit, Mr.Cycles or a wrecking yard ect,ect. You may have to try E-Bay or Honda. Unless some of our Pack-Rat members have a stash of old parts lying around.

"Good Luck"

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I overhauled the single pot callipers on my 1100 last year. Got all the bits from Dave Silvers no problem.

Certainly an animal way of doing it I'll admit, but on the back I simply took the calliper off the disk (with a hammer and wooden drift), left it connected to the brake line, put it ina polythene bag, sealed the top and pumped the footbrake!

Did the front by a similar method by using packing so they came out (almost) evenly.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thats exactly as I do them, Sorta barbaric but works for those without air compressors.

Just messy without a bag and a CLEAN coffee can.

Steel wool (AAAA) wrapped around a wooden dowel was my HONE. Worked awsome, Just flood the piston hole with WD40 and pull the trigger.

Same for the front & rear Master cylinders.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

Got a C clamp?

Simply alternate the C clamp on either piston,pump the pedal a bit unitl each piston is almost all the way out. Then both should pop out with the last pump on the pedal. Watch out for squirting brake fluid.

Be sure to clean up the brake pad retaining pins while you are at it.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I used progressively smaller deep well sockets that were layed acrossone piston at a timeandwalked the pistons out of my really REALLY gunked up calipers on my '83 I that I bought last March. You do want to protect any paint that might be about.

Other than that, the maintenance is fairly straight foward. My brakes were sooo much better after the re-build.

Now, waiting on the stainless steel/teflon lines.:)

Regards,

Hobie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.