Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have finally got to the point where I am happy with how these appear. Not super shiny but worlds better than they looked when I removed them.

Now, to keep some of that shine, what type of clear coat would one use?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Mr. 1200. Is that a lacquer or an enamel clear? I'm confused as to which I should use on the aluminum.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The longest lasting are the Urethane two part clear coats. Lacquer will look good though not as long. The main thing is to wipe the aluminum down well with a strong degreaser to get decent bonding.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

"Glisten PC" from the makers of por-15 tank treatments.

www.por15.com

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Sanfelice, what did you use to get them back in shape? Mine are looking pretty bad.

Billy

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

got the advice from the kind people here on how to polish them - but then went ahead and used mostly what was lying around to do it. :)

my own method began rather badly - i used some harsh metal grinder discthat I later needed to correct (lots of deep scratches) with much other rubbing. on the second cover, I used a much softer grinder disc and followed it up with those foam sanding pads (fine grit). These worked well. I then went to work with rubbing compound (also used the foam pads to rub in the compound), followed by Mother's Aluminum & Mag Polish, followed by wet sanding (1200 grit?). Mine are not shining like chrome but they look SOOO much better than they did. I plan to take off the valve covers this summer and have a go at those to get them to shine like some people here have done. It's kind of scary thinking that my bike might really shine, maybe too ostentatious. I'll get confused for a Harley rider!:p

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

lacquer may be forgiving and polish well, but it will NOT stand the test of time and lots of things will ruin it (besides the weather), as above, two part urethanes are the best but WEAR A RESPIRATOR that stuff can set up in your lungs

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I don't know that I would ever mess with clear coat once I got them buffed up good. When I bought my 83 1100 I used paint gelstripper and stripped them bare then mothers about once every 2,000 ,miles or so for the first 100,000 then I went to extreme wadding with a sealing polish that came with it this dropped my frequency down to oil changes when. They looked better than chrome IMHO because the shine had depth. I'd like to see a set of covers that were highly polished the had urethene applied but until I see them this old horse is stayin in the field he knows.;)

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

I have used Glisten PC and am very happy with the results. :clapper:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.