Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a small project this last week that was supposed to be me repainting my mirrors. This has turned into me sanding down every thing and redoing the whole bike. It is an 88 and time is showing in some places a little clear coat spots and rock chips. My ? is need to clear coat my valve covers and I don't know if I need a different clear coat because of engine heat or if standard will do the trick. [never let them tell you sanding gold wing is fun]

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
They make specific clear coats for all kinds of things, try consulting a local autobody paint distributor for information...one of their supplier may make exactly what you need.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Oreiley's auto parts has high temp clear coat
BTW
You have a pair of mirror trim pieces coming in faded chrome good for painting if Chromo gets out of here in time for you to paint them with the spoiler that is under the bike

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
From experience I can tell you that rattlecan clearcoats just flake off the rocker covers after a few weeks, partly because they can't take the heat and partly because special clearcoat is needed for aluminium. Aluminium is one of those metals that paint won't stick to without an etch primer being used first.
There are clearcoats specifically for use on aluminium, and designed to cope with heat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.