Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting different answers on this question about there being a clear coat finish that was applied to the goldwing rims. Some say yes there is and some say no. What I want to do is use a scotch bite pad to clean them, however if there is a coating on them I can't get that aggressive on the rims. I've tried other products and none of them clean them up the way I want them to look. So if there is no clear coat and can use the scotch bite however if there is I guess I will have to live with them looking the way they do. Your answers please. Thanks

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
GL1500 wheels all came from the factory clearcoated. GL1800 models from 2012 are clearcoated, earlier GL1800 models are bare metal.

The clearcoat on GL1500 wheels breaks down eventually, which might give the impression they were never coated in the first place.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wing is a 99 with 17,000 miles. Are you saying that the clear coat is gone and I can use the scotch brite pad or not. How can I tell if the clear coat is gone or not?

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
It's easy to find out if the clear coat is gone by rubbing some Autosol or Mothers on with a cloth. If the cloth turns black, the clearcoat is gone on that spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.