Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a code 26 showing bad left knock sensor. Swapped sensors to verify and got a code25. this proves that the sensor is bad. I have one ordered to put in. When I replace the bad sensor will the code clear itself or will I have to do it?

Thanks for all your help!!

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
Lucky guy, it seems to always be the ECM. Yes the code will clear when the problem is resolved.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
294 Posts
That is the first time I have heard of a knock sensor actually being bad. Like Dave says, it is usually the Electronic Control Module.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
+2
That is the first time I have heard of a knock sensor actually being bad. Like Dave says, it is usually the Electronic Control Module.

I even state that it is "never the knock sensor".... hmmmm, will have to modify that now.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
Bummer! Whats the best place to get a new ecm. Is a used ecm ok to use?
whoa!

you told us that you swapped the Knock Sensors, and the code changed from 26 to 25.

Is that still correct? If it is, you proved that the Knock Sensor itself is the culprit, not the ECM.

In that case, just purchase 1 knock sensor, and install it on the side that is being reported as bad now.

Once that is done, the code will clear by itself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well on a 01 Gl1800 the code will remain in history memory even with the battery disconnected for months. The clearing
Procedure

1. Short pin under seat “key off”
2. Turn key on
3. After key on, remove jumper
4 MIL Will light for approximately 5secs re short the jumper again , the self Diagnostic memory is erased if the MIL goes off and starts blinking”

Note the Service Connector must must be jumped while the MiL lights.
And the Self Diagnostic memory cannot he erased I’d ignition is turned “OFF” before the mil lamps starts to blink.

This is an 01 reset procedure ... if no active codes are present , kick stand down , idle fellow 1500, FI flashing , the computer on an 01 stores the history codes. Regardless if the battery is disconnected or not.

My 01 set same 26 active “flashing side stand down, idle under 1500” blinked 26.

Started bike after 9 months later battery out 7 months, disconnected ... re attached and no active code now, just history abstained via short connector under seat , flashes code “history” 26.

Perform test T in manual and no connector issue , I have an Oscilloscope, back probes connector at the ECM, ran engine above 2500 for 10 secs at normal temp, no FI light and see around 60 HZ frequency. Swapped sensors to make sure , no codes and both sensors give around 60 HZ frequency when running above 2500 rpm, normal temp.

Manual says : Temporary Failure the system is normal.

I don’t like that myself...

I ran mine blanket covered the entire upper shelter area , for 1:45 mins ... still want set a code about 2500 rpm... for 10 sec.

Intermittent... on mine. I erased the history codes and no codes returned as of today.

G luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts