Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi all,i have injected 80 weight oil into my diff as we said in the earlier e-mail,it swallowed about half the bottle so i think it was in need of a good refill,i also learned the bike over with a pillow against the wall of my garage to get more in and this worked a treat as the diff drank about a 3rd more,the clicking has stopped for now hopefully for a long time to come,now im waiting for the next job to come along because as all us wingers know theres always that other little job waiting for you somewhere on the bike...anyway the weather here in england is ok but still not summer rideing as yet,thanks again to all who replied ,many thanks BRI (SUNDERLAND,NORTH EAST COAST OF ENGLAND).;)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Glad you've solved it, but I would suggest ride the bike for 50 miles or so then do another diff oil change while the oil is hot,check the old oil carefully by feel and with a magnet if you find bits of metal, well.....................

be careful about over filling, as the oil heats up it will expand and will either leak out of the relief valve on the top of the diff or start popping oil seals!

It should be filled when on the main-stand until oil weeps out of the filler, at the worst fill the oil on the side-stand but this shouldn't be necessary.

THE FINAL DRIVE ONLY HOLDS 130cc of SAE80 oil.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Hopefully the noise won't come back. I suppose it depends ow long you rode the bike with hardly any oil in the diff.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Mr.1200 wrote:
1200bikes Did you drain the final drive,to see if any Oil was in there?

Over filling your Final Drive is asking for trouble..Your only supposed to fill it till it leaks over the bottom edge of the filler hole..

Adding that much oil is just silencingyour real problem..At least you now know where the noise is coming from.

As stated,you'll be seeing it come back out from the seals,or the breather on top of the drive! If I were you,I'd eiher fix this drive or look for a replacement..Something in there is a foul.(ie:bearings)
I gotta agree, it something's making noise there's a repair needed. Overfilling the drive will be self curing, it'll slobber it out the vent until it's happy. Keep a rag handy! I do get a little extra in my bike by filling it on the kick stand instead of the center stand, but it's only a little more. If you check it reasonably often you don't need to over fill, my 1200 would take a teaspoon or so around 2000 miles. My 1500 hasn't gone down any in the 1800 miles I've put on it so far.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

1200bikes, any chance you could give us a little more detail on that clicking sound?

Is it possible the sound could have been coming from the rear wheel splines and/or the rear wheel bearings or even a worn u-joint? It may have only been coincidental that the sound went away upon overfilling the rear gearset housing.

It might be worth your time andpeace of mind to carefully inspect these important items so that you can have a trouble free ride this summer.

Vic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.