Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 1500 has acquired a clicking sound that clicks as the same speed the wheel travels.
I have looked for the obvious( something in a tire, something rubbing a wheel, etc)
and found nothing, I have also tried applying the brake with no change in the sound and i do not believe it is a speedo cable cause it don't do it when leaning and it is coming from the back( the speedo is in the front,right?)

I have also found it is very seldom present riding solo, but always there 2up, and if i lean into a turn it quits. I have already checked it with the engine shut off and coasted through a parking lot. As long as i was perfectly upright it was clicking but if i leaned as to turn it would not click. It is coming from the rear. Any suggestions We are leaving for a trip Friday and now i am paranoid out of my mind i won't find the problem and it will break down.

All i can figure is a wheel bearing

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I have a feeling that your splines are dry. When your rear wheel is removed for a new tire, the splines must be lubed with molly 50 paste or better. Anything else will not stay on the splines to keep them lubed.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Is this gonna cause/already caused damage? Why is it popping from dry splines, ain't it tight in there?
I have not removed the wheel on the 1500 yet as it had new tires when i got it, all i have to go in is my 1800 when i had it apart

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Any moving part that has no lubrication will wear out quicker. How quick depends on how hard it is pushed & how strong the parts are. If your good with a wrench, pull your rear tire & inspect your splines.

Put your wing on the center stand & hand turn your rear wheel. See if you can hear or feel the noise & try to pin point where it's coming from. It could be as simple as a caliper pad touching the rotor.

Keep us posted!!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thats where the troubleshooting problems begin. It does not do it on the center stand.Only an the ground 2up. I will check the splines out in the morning. May also check the u joints on the output shaft.
Time for bed!!! I will check back in the morning

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the tire surface for an embedment--perhaps one just off the centerline.

OK--gotta learn to read it all---you already checked that.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Yes all tires have been checked thoroughly

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Still checking with no luck. It is hard to pinpoint as it only does it 2up moving. Maybe i will tie Dad to a creeper and let him roll beside me and find it LOL:dude::dude::dude:

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Check the swingarm isn't fouling the tyre especially on the right hand side. They rust, causing the seam to bow out. Usually this leaves a rub mark on the side of the tyre.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

No its not rubbing. It is close, but no rub marks. I have checked all up in the fender well and cant find anything, Well i did find one small piece of rubber that i thought might have been rubbing, but it did not have any rub marks on it. I pulled it out of the way so it should not be a factor anymore. Checked all fluid in the rearend and it is good and the gears all look good. Fixing to take a test ride 2up after i checked everything and will report on how it does

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

That sounds familiar. It sounds like a "creaking sound, but as you slow down, it is individual clicks.

http://tinyurl.com/m796x2

As the thread says, I replaced the wheel bearings, moly 60, tire, etc...

Since then - I have also completely replaced the final drive (even though there was nothing visibly wrong with it). That stopped the noise for about 500 miles, but it came back.

I listened to it for the last 1,700 miles of my vacation, including a blast on the Dragon. Annoying as hell, eh ??

Last time I had the wheel off, I even checked the runout on the end face of the drive couplings splinedcollar - only .002" - nothing.

Never did figure it out.

Good luck. :?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Well i just got back from a test ride with the wife and NO CLICKING. It was definitely present last night when we got home and i only rode 2 miles to my dads shop today to do the teardown. We took the right side exhaust off so we could get to the oil plug in the rearend easier. Searched everywhere for rubbing or clicking, found nothing but that little rubber piece ( which i do not believe was the culprate!!) and bolted everything back up.
We are leaving for about a 600 mile trip Friday and i will let you know what happens on the trip as far as the sound coming back, etc.

The reason i say it could not have been the small piece of rubber i found is because if it started rubbing it it would rub constantly, not just every revolution of the wheel .

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,997 Posts
imported post

My bike made a similar sound when it was new. It was a bad wheel. The race failed. So my guess would be wheel bearings.

Try rolling the bike backwards and listen for the sound.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Check the rear caliper ,mainly the piston ,that is is free and going back all the way , next time you hear the noise ,gently press the brake and if it disappears it is the piston needs cleaning ,The caliper will click if the pad is not releasing back ...

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

When I had this on a GL1200 it was wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

At this time the problem is gone. I tried everything i knew plus what yall said and then tore it down to check things out. Found nothing and now no sound either so .........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.