Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In an attempt to rectify my radio not retaining its station presets ( 82 Aspencade w Clarion 2) I opened the left forward turn signal and located the three fuse holders. Sure enough the 1 Amp fuse was not connected. After replacing it I notice that the clock now remains on after I remove the ignition key. Should this happen? I fear the constant drain may discharge the battery. Id appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

PoorOldThing wrote:
In an attempt to rectify my radio not retaining its station presets ( 82 Aspencade w Clarion 2) I opened the left forward turn signal and located the three fuse holders. Sure enough the 1 Amp fuse was not connected. After replacing it I notice that the clock now remains on after I remove the ignition key. Should this happen? I fear the constant drain may discharge the battery. Id appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance
It's working right now. The radio needs a permanent voltage applied to keep the memory and clock alive when the key is off. The drain is probably less than the internal drain of the battery itself.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

On my 83 Aspencade thedisplay only comes on for a few seconds whenI push the clock button. It has never stayed on longer than that. The radio station display stays on only as long as the radio is on and goes out when I turn the key off. I don't think the clock display should stay on at all times. Try pushing the "clock" button a few times to see if it goes out. It may be stuck. Even if it is stuck as long as you run the bike every few days it should stay charged up.

Or maybe yours is supposed to stay on! Maybe that's why the fuse was disconnected and not blown.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Hmmm. I've see a few of these models with the clock, volt & temp meter etc and I don't recall seeing the clock lit when the ignition was off.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It should be easy enough to stick an ammeter in line with the fuse and see how much current is flowing. If it's on the order of 50mA or less I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
On my 83 Aspencade thedisplay only comes on for a few seconds whenI push the clock button. It has never stayed on longer than that. The radio station display stays on only as long as the radio is on and goes out when I turn the key off. I don't think the clock display should stay on at all times. Try pushing the "clock" button a few times to see if it goes out. It may be stuck. Even if it is stuck as long as you run the bike every few days it should stay charged up.

Or maybe yours is supposed to stay on! Maybe that's why the fuse was disconnected and not blown.

Bob :11grey:
Ditto on the clock. Mine only stays on for a 5 seconds or so before going off whether thethe ignition is on or off. When I was having problems with my radio, it drove me nuts because the clock worked no matter what.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

My 86A clock stays on all the time. Never a probem.Battery drain is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

My '82 Interstate display stays on all the time. I installed the Clarion II system right after I bought the bike and didn't know it was supposed to go off. As long as you ride the bike every few days it shouldn't be a problem. When mine started sitting in the garage too long I found that it could run the battery down over time. A "Battery Tender" will fix that problem and prolong the life of your battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.