Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Two years ago I bought this little thing and put it on my GL1100:

It is in no way waterproof, and is intended to be mounted and used inside a car, not outside on a motorcycle. It's been rained on a few times, and each time it goes wonky for a little while, the screen gets water inside it, and after a few hours in the hot sun, it starts working fine again.

I'm moving the position I have it on my bike, and as such have taken it off. I decided while I had it off, to see what I could do about waterproofing it.

Taking it completely apart, it's not easy - the front faceplate is just a piece of plastic sitting in the black plastic frame. I took some weatherstripping contact cement and fastened it in place, hopefully waterproofed. There is an opening for the internal temperature sensor. I don't use that, so I closed it up with a hot glue gun. The buttons on the front are used for stopwatch and other functions that I don't use, so I removed their internal parts, and used weatherstripping contact cement to fasten them, then coated them with hot glue inside. I also coated the LED's liberally with contact cement and fastened them in securely.

The other switches (C or F, 12hr or 24hr, inside or outside temperature, clock or stopwatch) I also never use - so I soldered the contacts on the circuit board permanently the way I want them, and removed the switches altogether, using hot glue to seal the places in the case they poked through. The only parts of the circuit board that needed to be bare were the contacts for the LCD screen, and the "hour" and "minute" buttons on the back. I masked those off with masking tape, along with the LED's, and sprayed the rest of the circuit board with spray paint, coating and sealing the whole thing.

Once dry, I screwed the circuit board back in, coated the case edges with weatherstripping contact cement, and screwed the back on.

I don't think it would survive a dunking in a bucket of water for any amount of time, but I'm pretty sure it will now survive rain falling on it - I hope. If not...well, they're only $20, I'll buy another one and try again. :)

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Photo?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts