Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I often check the time on my Goldwing and find it difficult to check the time on the display. A simple analog clock would be very nice, give an indication of time at all times. I have seen simple clocks I can afix to handlebars, but since the Goldwing doesn't seem to have round handlebars, I can't really do that.

If Honda wanted to be fancy, a design akin to a scuba watch might be desireable. I was a scuba instructor and we had to closely track our bottom time. Since I often ride my Goldwing in groups it would be nice to set a tracker for 90 minute intervals for nature breaks. Also, a time elapsed function would work nicely, to time out the whole trip or intervals.

v/r Joel

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
imported post

An analog clock? We're in the digital world. Don't you know that there are many kids out there who can't tell time with an analog clock.:dude:

I too prefer analog over digital. Most of my watches are analog (you can use them as compasses).

I like analog becasue you get a better sense of how much time is left without having to ponder it. The same is true for gauges, you can get a better sense of the rate of change than you can with digital gauges.

You could buy a $10 analog sport watch and stick it to your dash with velcro.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yeah, well, anyone can glue anything to any part of the bike. It looks sloppy.

The key to making anything look good on this bike is to make it look like it REALLY belongs there. I could always take a dremel tool to the face of the bike and make it look like that analog clock was always there... that's what I did when I put in the CB antenna and didn't have a 28mm hole saw, I used a 1 inch hole saw and then used a dremel tool to make the hole fit just right....

I wear a watch, most folks do but it is a hassle to check when riding. I have a clock in each room, most folks do, some rooms have more than one clock. I have one in my car, most folks do. But I only have a digital timepiece on a screen that is "sunned out" in bright daylight when wearing a Nolan helmet with a sunvisor. I need a clock on my bike.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
imported post

joelhar wrote:
Yeah, well, anyone can glue anything to any part of the bike.  It looks sloppy.
Don't glue it on, use duct tape. Way more class with duct tape. :dude:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Gee, guys. I would truly hate to see your bikes, they might look like an old Rascal's scooter, wooden wheels, etc... :shock:

...and seeing as Momma Honda doesn't let us access the GPS computer system, those URLs don't do anyone any good... :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
imported post

joelhar wrote:
Gee, guys.  I would truly hate to see your bikes, they might look like an old Rascal's scooter, wooden wheels, etc...   
They have character.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Actually, I did a search for an "Old Hag" picture and Mikulski's picture came up.... and I thought it appropriate.. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
imported post

Scout Guy wrote:
You'll still need duct tape or Velcro® to stick that to the dash.
Not necessarily, I worked up a system for a friends wing a few months ago on my lathe. Turned a piece of wenge wood in a chuck system. Top of it had a round indention bored outfor the clock to fit into. Bottom had a sleeve that fit into a hole drilled into the fairing. Side was beveled to rest on the fairing for a smooth look. Glued the wood into the fairing and the clock fit tight enough you could pry it out to change batteries when needed.

My brother, who also works with wood lathes, made one to glue to his handlebar. Looks sharp.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Acro270 wrote:
Scout Guy - do you work for these guys?

http://www.ducttapemarketing.com/

Your interest in duct tape seems to be a little obsessive and slightly creepy :shock:

But hey, I'm English. Maybe there's not much to do in Pennsylvania.

(They don't make duct tape there do they?) :D
Dang... I mean DANG! I need to duck to avoid the flying veiled barbs (I'm sure meant in jest) around here!!

I saw a lot of ForMotion clocks around, waterproof to 3 ATM (I doubt I'm going to bring my wing on a scuba dive, but I'm known for being innovative at work....)... They all seem to be in the $60 range (I have no idea how many Euros or Pounds that works out to), but some are intended to be mounted on round handlebars, which I don't believe we have on the Wings... I don't want to 'muck up' the appearance of the Wing but enhance it.

Sorry, I'm allergic to duct tape, it makes me break out in Redneck Hives, you know, a highly technical medical term for having a sense of decorum.... :shock:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I spent the day yesterday on my Wing, at the MSF ERC class. I can't count the times I wanted to check the timebut couldn't, because the bike was turned off and I was wearing a "Joe Rocket" jacket which has fairly stiff sleeves and prevented me from 'pulling down' the sleeve to check my wristwatch.

By the way, I had a great time in the class, aced the U-turns, etc...

At the same token, to read the screen on my Wing to tell the time makes me take my eyes off the road and locate the time on the screen. It only takes two seconds but that just might be the critical time between an accident or not... An analog clock set fairly close to the windshield might let me glance at the time and not take my eyes fully off the road...

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
imported post

Have you ever considered a HUD? I have a vague memory of seeing something that attaches to your visor to give you speed and rpm information. Maybe you could do something similar with a clock.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.