Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Twas such a beautiful morning here. I had the trailer hooked up to the bike. I decided to lean forward against the back of the trailer to read in the nice sunshine. All of a sudden I felt the trailer going forward. Obviously, the bike was too! It was just just on the side-stand. I immediately went & pushed the bike back about 4". Probably another 2 " & the bike would've fallen over. So then I went & gotta 2 by 4 & put it at abut a 45 degree against the front tire. Man, what a close call. I'm STILL shaking! No more leaning against the trailer (at least from the back) anymore!

Other than getting a set of wheel chokes. I dunno what to get to prevent that.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

What William said.. Or ... don't ever do that again! You wouldn't lean on the back of your bike without the trailer attached would you?

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

Or leave it in reverse...also useful to stop it rolling if you are picking the bike up on an incline.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Or buy a kermit chair :)

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Put it in PARK.

;)

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

That was a real close shave Happer. I probably would have need to change pants after that.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Buy a Harley. Their side-stand locks.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Now y wud I wanna buy a harley? All that noise is way too unnecessary never mind the vibration. I like to hear the radio when I'm going down the highway, not getta headache from all that un-muffled noise. 'Sides, harlys intimidate most folks & I'm not into that.

IF I ever park the Wing on an incline, I'll just put in in gear & the potential danger of it rolling forward in gone.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

I was just looking at mine last night because of a similar situation. Has anyone heard of trimming the stop on the side stand so it goes a bit further forward?

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

I am a 'slow learner' but after seeing my Wing roll forward (and down) a few times when I parked on an incline with the front down I finally learned to shift into first gear when I stop. I then turn off the engine with the Kill Switch, turn the key off, turn the Kill Switch back on, and exit the bike. OOPS, I forgot to put the side stand down. (I've done that a time or two also)

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
imported post

I would just make it a habit to put it in 1st gear every time I shut it off. That way there are no surprises, it won't roll forward or backward !!

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

racingbanker16: I've been putting mine in reverse & then turning the key off. Should I kill the motor with the kill switch first? I'm not arguing, just wondering when I ask how is that better?

How the heck do you pick it up when it falls down & is there much damage done?

I got an offer of $7000.00 for mine 2 days ago. (& it's been on its side [not by me] & has 115K miles on it.) I'm tempted, but I'd probly still wanna get another 1500...with less miles & more accessories.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

Happer

I have heard of leaving it in reverse but since I had a bad experience with reverse I use it ONLY when necessary and try to park where I won't have to use it. I have put about 60,000 on my Wing and had to have it TRAILERED to the dealer for the only time a couple of months ago when I backed it up a slight incline and it stuck in reverse. Nothing we could do would get it out of reverse! The clutch also wouldn't release it so when we hand pushed it onto the trailer the rear tire was sliding all the way. Actually I came out better than I expected because the bill for picking it up, taking it to the dealer (45 miles), and repair came to $270. Towing Insurance paid $125 of that so I was out of pocket about $150 and considered myself very lucky. The 'pin' on the reverse handle had bent and wouldn't let it release???

No damage when it fell over except for the time it rolled forward @ a gas pump and hit one of those 6" steel posts filled with concrete. Had to get a new Fairing that time as the post busted a hole in the fairing just below the turn light.

The other times there was nothing nearby for it to hit when it went over. I back into the bike and have been able to pick it up myself when it has gone down.

I would think that $7000 would be a heck of a price for your bike with 115k miles on it but like you I would probably get another 1500 also. Mine is a 90 and has 91,000 on it and I thought I would be lucky to get $4000 for it but who knows??

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I bought a cheapo plastic wheel chock to carry around in the trunk, and I usually get by leaving the tranny in 1st gear. I'd suggest not using reverse for a brake, unless it is only a VERY slight incline. Even then, I'd be concerned about the little ring gear in the reverse system. I saw how little and fragile they are, and it aint' worth it,trust me! I'm glad it stayed upright long enough to get a grip on it before it fell! I usually would try to catch it halfway down, and rip every muscle in my back outa whack! Once it starts going over, it takes a BIG dude to stop it. Good going saving it. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Bobby, I wasn't really advocating any Winger buy a Harley. The noise on a road trip is very annoying and damaging to your ears. Been there done that.
I do wonder why Honda and other metric bike maunfacturers have not designed a side stand that locks while the bike is leaned over on it.
Bobby

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.