Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys,

I have in the last few days noticed a slight Clunk on the Left Rear of Bike after starting moving. I first thought it was universals, or something loose. I have noticed this a few times but not everytime. The Strange thing is the noise is not immediate upon motion its a second or two after you start rolling. Clutch is fully engaged and either while easing on the throttle or medium hard throttle.

I have crawled all over down there and wiggle and shook everything and I have no movement anywhere. Plus while on the Center Stand. And bike in gear ( Engine Off) I have no extra play in drive train and no noises then.

I am thinking now that it may be the rear Brake Pads hanging and popping free or movement of the pads or caliper. I have noticed no brake drag at all and I am always moving the bike back and forth when I am at a long Light so I should notice the brake dragging.

If anybody has experianced this before, Drop me a line and let me know what you have discovered.

I am Buying a Lift this week to get the beast in the Air so I can see things better. Flopping on the ground like a fish is fun but the neighbors are looking at me strangely. Especially when I had 2 other guys laying on the ground as I was running the bike trying to replicate the sound.

C Ya, Ride Safe

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Mohawk wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have in the last few days noticed a slight Clunk on the Left Rear of Bike after starting moving. I first thought it was universals, or something loose. I have noticed this a few times but not everytime. The Strange thing is the noise is not immediate upon motion its a second or two after you start rolling. Clutch is fully engaged and either while easing on the throttle or medium hard throttle.

I have crawled all over down there and wiggle and shook everything and I have no movement anywhere. Plus while on the Center Stand. And bike in gear ( Engine Off) I have no extra play in drive train and no noises then.

I am thinking now that it may be the rear Brake Pads hanging and popping free or movement of the pads or caliper. I have noticed no brake drag at all and I am always moving the bike back and forth when I am at a long Light so I should notice the brake dragging.

If anybody has experianced this before, Drop me a line and let me know what you have discovered.

I am Buying a Lift this week to get the beast in the Air so I can see things better. Flopping on the ground like a fish is fun but the neighbors are looking at me strangely. Especially when I had 2 other guys laying on the ground as I was running the bike trying to replicate the sound.
Mohawk, it sure wold help us if we knew what bike model you are working with.

If you suspect a rear brake caliper hanging or shifting on launch just try stopping with the front brake only & then launch it, if the noise is gone then suspect the rear brake hanging.

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You might put it on the stand in gear and try forcing the rear wheel forward and backward to see if you can get the clunk. Check the amount of slack you have at the tire tread too, that will give an idea of the state of the drive line. This clunk has come up with several members and I'll still stick to the idea that it's the torsional shock absorbing cam and ramp on the final shaft in the tranny. It's possible for the spring loaded cam to climb the ramp on the gear and then when the load eases a bit it can pop back down. If the u-joint and final drive are okay, and the caliper isn't the culprit there's not much else I can see that could do this.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The Strange thing is the noise is not immediate upon motion its a second or two after you start rolling. Clutch is fully engaged and either while easing on the throttle or medium hard throttle.

If the bike is already moving forward with the clutch fully released, I don't see how it could be a brake hanging. A clunk caused by the brake pad in motion should come immediately on startup. Now if the whole caliper is going in motion, it might take a little longer to snap to the other end of an elongated hole in the caliper mounting bracketry.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Sorry Guys,

The Bike Model is a 95 Aspencade. I did have it on the center stand and checked play in the drive train but the noise wasn't coming from that. The play while trying to roll the tire back and forth while in gear was not that much, So I think the U Joint and Splines are Fine.

I don't know anything about the Progressive Shock. And I was going to look hard at the Rubber mounted Hub also.

The guy is right about it not being the Brake Pads hanging after rolling. But this is when the noise happens, But it is immediatly upon rolling and only sometimes. You would have only moved 6 to 12 inches when it clunks.

I will know more this weekend when I pick up the Bike Lift and get the beast in the air and remove some Junk ( Left Bag, Muffler ) so I can see more.

Thanks for the info guys.

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

My LTD does the exact same thing. Sounds like a 2" steelie rolls from the front of left saddle bag to the back. About 1/2 rear wheel revolution, in first gear only, After that, it's ok. Like something stacks up/ binds, then lets loose. Had it all apart, but not finding a thing. Next time it's apart, I'm going to look closer at the splines on the output, may be slightly jagged, at least enough to go "offset" temporarily. They looked great at a glance.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Bob,

See, I'm not crazy, And it's weird that it doesn't happen everytime, Just now and then.

But it drives the mechanic in us nuts.

Your right about the sound, Its kind of a deep Clunk.

Thanks again for the confirmation, I will let you know if I find anything when I get a chance to pull it apart. The wife has plans for me this weekend.

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I've seen this happen before on a GL1500. After much scratching of heads we discovered that the brake caliper bracket was worn and was moving. It seemed solid until we loosened off the axle pinch bolts and then we saw the movement.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
imported post

hi guys

i was just about to write,about the same noise coming out of mine 1985 LTD, and the whole thing, noise, clutch, is the same, (very well describe) just like bob i had it all apart and all is fine dont know what is the noise......:waving:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Morning All,

Ted Thanks for the Info, That gives me a direction to look when the wife gives me a chance to pull it apart. heheh Went on a long ride ( 60 Miles ) with my Club last night and only heard it twice in all that time. This puts my mind at rest some as its not anything that will come apart at speed anyway. Back and forth to work is at Highway speeds of 75 MPH in heavy traffic. Makes your mind wonder what could happen, As if we don't have enough to watch with all the cages drifting into your lane while talking on thier cell phones or putting on make up. Huh?

DJ, Good luck with your "noise"

Have a GREAT weekend guys Im on Vacation as of 10 AM

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Does it make any difference in the number of occurrenceswhether you're solo or two up?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

No difference on mine, Paul. Acts just like the drive hub starts out kiltered (poor choice of word), then pops to the proper position. About a half a wheel turn, or therabouts. Wierd

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
imported post

My Ltd is the same all the noises and situations are exact solo or two of us on it, it has not change since i got it30 000 km ago can not find it .:baffled::baffled::baffled:

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Count me on the clunk, my 84 does the same thing. Seems more intense if I'm starting off on an incline or two up. No obvious problems, will be disassembling rear this winter for service and inspection. Only occurs when leaving a stop. does not occur while rolling.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Nope, No Difference, Whether Two up or solo. Had the bike loaded with Groceries yesterday, Both Bags, Trunk and Large Box bungied to Luggage rack. As an estimate an extra 300 Pounds of stuff with two up and it only clunked once. on the return trip home.

Weight doesn't seem to an issue with this, But I do feel better that it's not going to come apart or hurt something on the bike.

Looks like it will be a bit longer til I can take it apart. I was invited to a fishing trip in the Thousand Islands this weekend after a Club Run to Lake Ontario on Wednesday Night.

Have a Great Week Guys.

Mohawk

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Is it possible there's a big steelie in side the muffler? LOL

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

My drive looks perfect, as well as the splines. ???????? Swing arm brgs good, wheel brgs good, ring gear not moving. ???????

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
imported post

I have an 86 aspy and am having the same problem. I wonder if it's the shocks because I pumped them up a bit to see if that made a dif. So far no clunks.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

I get a clunk from my GL1000 rear end right after take off also. I read all the stuff on this site and it seems it's a common complaint. I would love to know if it is an indicator of a problem.:?

I guess when something falls off and my buddy crashes on it, I'll post about it!:banana:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.