Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When cruising down the road, sometimes when im going down a gentle decline, I will get a clunk that sounds like its comming from the right side of the bike. It is rather loud. I have checked externally and see no issues. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
1,716 Posts
imported post

I dont now that they have made GoldWings 115 years ago ?
- And itt could be a little difficult to find a good mechanic from "stone age" !
Sorry could not help myself .LOL

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

Your final drive spline is probably going. Put the bike on the center stand and see how much slop you have in the rear wheel. With bike in gear, rotate the wheel by hand. You should only be able to rotate it about 1/2".

If the final drive splines are not maintained, ie lubed as part of the normal maintenance they will wear and eventually fail.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I would pull the rear wheel off and check the splines on the wheel and drive unit for excessivewear. If that looks ok, then pull the rear drive unit and drive shaft and check those splines.

Also check for wear in the rubber inserts on the wheel.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I bought mine from a fella whose grandmas brothers sisters boyfriend whose sisters husband drove back in the stone age, or i just inverted my 98.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Check the wheel bearings too. A loose/worn right side bearing could cause the noise and will quickly wear out even properly lubed splines.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
imported post

Mine went out all together at one time... Count yourself lucky... pull the wheel and check the gears in the rear end and also the drive shaft could save yourself a chunk of change...

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

How many miles on the U-Joint........ look at the u-joint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does the Goldwing have a u-joint? That's what I thought it might be because my bike makes the same sound as a car when the u-joint goes bad. A kind of clunk or pop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.