Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi guys wonder if you can help me with this one...when the bike ( GL1100 1980 ) is at rest and I engage gear she feels as though it takes a slight sideways move !!! never really been a problem in the past, when I move off there is no further issues, she rides lovely and there is no further issues when changing up or down the box...it feels to me as though there maybe an issue with either the final drive tension, or something to do with the rear wheel ( perhaps cushes ). some background, the clutch plates where replaced 250 miles ago, I have checked the cush drives when wheel changed...NO issues, the shaft itself seemed in very good condition, the gearbox has always been reasonably smooth ( even for a wing )... there are new pads in the rear caliper, which do rub slightly, and finallythere is a very slight rubbing sound from the rearspindle areawhich I can't decide if it is the brake linings or a bearing seizing..

any thoughts..what is my clunk?? by the way the engine has only done 39,600 miles ( genuine )

mavman

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks for the quick reply, it was oem plates i placed in the clutch ( prevoius clutch worked perfect, just had the engine out for a frame paint and decided to change it at the same time ).

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Are all the engine mounting bolts tightened properly? Sounds like the engine is moving when you select gear.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

will check in the morning Eddie..a bit late in the night here now, thanks for the reply and will repost in the morning...meanwhile if my wingers brothers from across the water can keepposting I will check when I rise fresh to the new day!

cheers

seane

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I didn't catch this the first time I replied, " she feels as though it takes a slight sideways move." Can you explain a little more about this please. Almost sounds like a bad bearing in the rear axle or the swingarm is loose if I'm undersatanding your statement correctly.

Vic

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Just so I have it right, do you feel the movementwhen you step on the shifter, or when you start to let the clutch out? Does it make a difference if the bike is hot or cold?

When hot, my 83 GL1100 will make a "clunk" which I can also feel, as the clutch just begins to disengage. It only does itif I"bump" the bike forward with the clutch, at idle, when there is slack in the drive train, like when you are trying to inch forward in the garage far enough to be able to close the door but not so far you run into everything else you have stuffed in there! I believe this is a normal result of slack being taken up by the primary chain and haven't worried about it. I can feel it and hear it in the engine andis definitely not in the rear end. Could also be front U-joints I suppose but I think I would notice it when the bike was cold also.

I do NOT feel any sideways movement when putting it in gear.

I'm not sure this is the same thing you are describing but thought it might be.

Bob :11grey:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
I didn't catch this the first time I replied, " she feels as though it takes a slight sideways move." Can you explain a little more about this please. Almost sounds like a bad bearing in the rear axle or the swingarm is loose if I'm undersatanding your statement correctly.

Vic
Sounds like the swingarm to me too Vic. There's not much of anything else that could give a sideway lurch.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hi Guys..thanks for your replies...got it sorted..here is the confession so that everyone else can learn from my embarrasing error !!!! ( and this after building several bikes )

when I put the new wheel on I removed the rear diff to repack with grease and generally service etc... when I put it back on i didn't fully tighten up the three nuts ( makes in easier to put the spindle in the through the wheel )..and yes you've guessed it I forgot to tighten then up fully a further turn, subsequently after approx 250 miles two of the three nuts had vibrated off....hence the sideway movement on taking up the initial drive..... a lucky escape....lesson learnt

once again thanks guys, (hope you don't think of me as too much of a clutz.

mavman10

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Mavman10, it sounds like you were very lucky, glad you found the problem in time.:)

:12red::cool:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

mavman, my pride in my mechanical ability causes me to check and double check everything I do on a motorcycle, but, sometimes, like you, I suffer from delayed intelligence and occasionally make a boo boo. I'm just glad that you caught thaterror before the bike let you know in a very unfriendly manner.

Don't think of yourself as a clutz, just think of yourself as a lucky guy who learned a good lesson without losing any skin.

Vic

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

cheers vic..very nicely put...i just hope fellow wingers reading this thread can prevent themselves having the same " block in intelligence " I had

seane

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I believe I learn something every time I read the forum! We all make mistakes but I want to make as few as possible. I have avoided a bunch since I started reading this forum!

Bob :11grey:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

That is very wise Bob. People who refuse to learn are the ones who seem to get hurt the most because their pride gets in the way.

Regardless of how much I already know I am always willing to learn another lesson from someone else's experience. That's the great thing about this site, so much experience and so many good people willing to share that experience freely because of the common bond we have within the Gold Wing world.

Vic

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Well done mavman and fair play to you for admitting this, we can all learn from this error. GWEddie wasn't too far wrong when he suggested loose mountings, he was just wrong because he thought it was engine bolts!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

took her back out today after rechecking everything, which included checking out the back cushes, replacing the wheel, fitting three domed nuts complete with locking paste compound to the diff / swingarm fastening flange.. she ran sweet and true with no murmers or movement...I feel a whole lot better now.

thanks for your kind support and words,

seane

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
imported post

Mavman,

Apparently you don't suffer from that age-old affliction known as "testosterone induced supidity." I'm no guru but have learned to put my pride aside and double-check, triple if necessary, my work. Glad to hear you didn't find out the hard way and wind up stranded somewhere-or worse.

1980 GL Standard (71K and counting)

Info gleaned from this forum: head gaskets, engine exhaust valve replacement, valve timing, overheating issue, carburetor adjustments, and counting

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.