Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

when trying to start my 82 GL1100 a couple of weeks ago the starter began to turn the engine and then there was a loud clunk and it would no longer turn. After playing with it a little it turned over and started. I thought I might have a dead spot on the starter. I decided to rebuild the starter but when I was attempting to remove it I broke the stem bolt so that starter is done for. After installing a new starter the bike started fine and I thought my problems were solved, but the next time I started the bike the clunk happened again. I found that after playing with the shift lever I can get the bike to turnover. I'm a former Auto mechanic but I'm still learning how to fix bikes. could there be something misaligned it the tranny? Could the bike be in gear or partially in gear even though the neutral light is on?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I've had mine do that a couple times, so I'm kinda interested to hear discussion on the topic. I'll take a seat and wait for someone to clue us in.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Could be some sediment around the starter clutch. When on the sidestand, the starter is the lowest point of the motor. My 1200 did the same thing. Get out and ride it and change the oil. Havent had a problem since.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

Sounds like hydro lock to me. Pull the plugs, turn the kill switch off and try the starter.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i agree with dave when i originally got my bike the carbs leaked overnight after spending a small fortune rebuilding the carbs

it never had a problem but ocassionally when i let it sit for a few days a bit of fuel would leak past the floats nothing i worry about so i got in the habbit of shutting of the fuel when i park it overnight and the issues went away for good

it has a fuel petcock for a reason so why not use it the carbs bikes or anything that has a bout 1/4cup of fuel in each carb will leak into the cylinder alittle leakage is "natural" i guess but were talkin a few days to get a smidge like what i have im not worried about

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

While these are completely different bikes, and I am not completely familiar with the Goldwing starter clutch (yet), My Yamaha XT225 did the same thing. Most of the time it would turn over long enough to start it, but many times it would turn over a couple of times, make a loud CLUNK, then lock up. Releasing the starter button would make it turn again, but it would often do the same thing again. And it got ridden plenty. Turned out to be the starter clutch, which was an unusually complicated affair, but at least it could be gotten to without having to pull the engine. $130+ and I was back in business.

By the way, on the XT225, hydrolock was impossible, at least from gas. The carb had an overflow tube on it, basically a standpipe in the float bowl, that would drain gas out on the ground before it got high enough to get into the cylinders. I replaced the float needle valve when I replaced the starter clutch. People have been known to destroy these engines by riding in water so deep that they sucked in water through the air cleaner housing. They are motorcycles, not submarines.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

my 1982 1100 aspencade would do the same thing then one day it locked up all together pulled it was starter clutch..i call a place called cyclepsycho.com 541 461 9279 they are in eugene oregon they are very friendly people..and have very good prices..and ship your order out fast!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

You think the little cylinders or springs in the starter clutch NG?

I used to have them slip and not grab in CB750s, not clunk.

Though if the springs are bad, it may lock the clutch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up a new 1981 GoldWing and I had the same problem. I seen gas leaking but never though of that getting in the heads. The person I purchased the bike from had a new set of clutch plates and said they where needed. I wonder if he got it wrong and it's the St
arter clutch not drive clutch? How do I release it?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,578 Posts
I just picked up a new 1981 GoldWing and I had the same problem. I seen gas leaking but never though of that getting in the heads. The person I purchased the bike from had a new set of clutch plates and said they where needed. I wonder if he got it wrong and it's the St
arter clutch not drive clutch? How do I release it?
You need to start a new thread for this. And don't try to start the bike until you get things analyzed. It could take out a connecting rod.
Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.