Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had an 81 goldwing did I purchase really cheap. It needed some TLC so I purchased a 1980 for parts. While trying to start the 81 I heard a whirring sound. It was the starter not rapping out. I sent to change the starter but the chain inside felt very loose. since I have put in a starter in bike starts right away but there is a clunking sound coming from inside the motor somewhere. When I drain the oil there was an abundance of oil it was mixed with gas. I refilled it and change the spark plugs with the required amount of oil. The clunking still happens though not as bad. Any ideas as to what this might be?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
First thought would be primary chain noisy from carbs not being in sync,have you checked balance on the carbs,VERY IMPORTANT

Reactions: limpy45

·
Premium Member
6,632 Posts
So I had an 81 goldwing did I purchase really cheap. It needed some TLC so I purchased a 1980 for parts. While trying to start the 81 I heard a whirring sound. It was the starter not rapping out. I sent to change the starter but the chain inside felt very loose. since I have put in a starter in bike starts right away but there is a clunking sound coming from inside the motor somewhere. When I drain the oil there was an abundance of oil it was mixed with gas. I refilled it and change the spark plugs with the required amount of oil. The clunking still happens though not as bad. Any ideas as to what this might be?
Did you look close at the drain oil? Did it have shavings and debris in the oil?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No shavings. Guess I'm just a beginner as this is my first build. Balance on the carbs? U mean sync? They were synced on the 80 before I moved them to 81. Do they need resynced?

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
No shavings. Guess I'm just a beginner as this is my first build. Balance on the carbs? U mean sync? They were synced on the 80 before I moved them to 81. Do they need resynced?
Probably, adjust the valves first though.

Reactions: limpy45

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
Balance on the carbs? U mean sync? They were synced on the 80 before I moved them to 81. Do they need resynced?
Sync gauges measure intake manifold vacuum. Everything from engine compression quality, ignition quality and mixture quality will affect the reading on the gauges. So yes you have to sync again for the unknown compression and ignition quality aspect of the other engine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If not real close on carb sync, these 4's rattle like they are going to blow up. When synched they are quiet and actually sometimes lope a bit at idle.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,086 Posts
Valve adjustment will definitely affect the carb sync. There have been times on my '81 where the bike was really in need of a tune, valves clacking and carburetion needing synchronization and just setting the valves and the carbs were sync'ed perfectly.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Having worked on all the 70's Hondas for a Honda dealer all the multi cylinder Hondas you would find if you got the "service" items correct(points gap, timing, cam chain/belt tension, plugs) the carbs very rarely needed adjustment.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Having worked on all the 70's Hondas for a Honda dealer all the multi cylinder Hondas you would find if you got the "service" items correct(points gap, timing, cam chain/belt tension, plugs) the carbs very rarely needed adjustment.
I hear you, never was one to suggest "synching the carbs" at the first sound of trouble, but it is a popular tactic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts