Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:(hope someone can help.

the clutch will not engage with engine running.

shifts fine with engine turnedoff.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
imported post

I'd need a bot more info, like how does the clutch lever feel? Is it slack? Can you see the clutch arm operating at the engine end when the clutch is pressed in?

BTW, welcome to our forum. :clapper:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

radioniwde wrote:
hope someone can help.

the clutch will not engage with engine running.

shifts fine with engine turnedoff.
radioniwde, I agree with BRowan, we need more info. You say "the clutch will not engage" but (it) "shifts fine with engine turnedoff".. That doesn't sound correct.. Could you possibly mean the clutch won't disengage. An engaged clutchtransmits powerALL the time,, a disengaged clutch won't transmit powerat all. If your bike will move under power the clutch is engaging.

Twisty
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

radioniwde wrote:
:(hope someone can help.

the clutch will not engage with engine running.

shifts fine with engine turnedoff.
:waving::waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing site on the Internet radioniwde!:waving::waving:

The guys already nailed your problem I think, sure sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging and most likely needs to be flushed and bled. Is there any chance the fluid level in the master got so low that air got into the system? Or is there a leak and there's no fluid in the system?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The guys already nailed your problem I think, sure sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging and most likely needs to be flushed and bled. Is there any chance the fluid level in the master got so low that air got into the system? Or is there a leak and there's no fluid in the system?
exavid, I believe the 83 1100 has a cable clutch not a hydraulic unit.

Twisty
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
exavid wrote:
The guys already nailed your problem I think, sure sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging and most likely needs to be flushed and bled. Is there any chance the fluid level in the master got so low that air got into the system? Or is there a leak and there's no fluid in the system?
exavid, I believe the 83 1100 has a cable clutch not a hydraulic unit.

Twisty
Yep, you're right I think it was the 84 where the hydraulic clutch came in. Shoulda looked at the topic heading. Man, that's two, I think I better go out in the shop and change some tires before the dementia gets worse:baffled:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
imported post

All we can do is wait until radioniwdegets back with more info. In the meantime I'll just wish him all the best on the forum. :waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ok gentelmen, I kind of goofed.

The clutch has been replaced, but a used basket was used.

When the engine is not running ,the clutch works fine and shifting is ok, But once engine is running, it will not shift. period.

This is not my bike so I'm getting the info from my friend.

Thanks to all
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
imported post

makes me wonder if the clutch was put together wrong... once again, is it staying stuck ON when the engine is running, therefore not disengageing, or is it not engaging, therefore no drive to the rear wheel... you say it was rebuilt with a used basket, were any other used pieces put un, such as springs etc. and were the plates, and clutch [peices all new, and in the correct order?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

radioniwde wrote:
Ok gentelmen, I kind of goofed.

The clutch has been replaced, but a used basket was used.

When the engine is not running ,the clutch works fine and shifting is ok, But once engine is running, it will not shift. period.

This is not my bike so I'm getting the info from my friend.
radioniwde, obviously there are a multitude of reasons that your (his) clutch doesn't release so a proper lower (major) thena propercable adjustment would be the place to start.

If a FULL adjustment doesn't help, then it will probably have to come back apart for further investigation.

If all LOOKS good then look closely at the basket where the plate tangs ride. Those old worn baskets tend to wear low spots in the sides of the basket fingers then if new plates are installed (or old plates that are mixed from original position) are installed they can catch in those worn spots & cause the clutch to stay partially engaged with the engine running.

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks again twisty...I just got back from my chums place and hehad taken the bike into a bike shop yesterday. we went to the shop and they are in the process of taking it apart again.. To bad, my chum is a motor mechanic and has worked on many Goldwings but this one was stumping him and he dosn't have the time to spend on it.

So thank s to all you great guysfor all your knowledge.

Dave

 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top