Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Can someone tell me where the clutch should engage, like half way out on the release or close to the end of the travel?
Mine seems to engage right at the end of the travel........I do not detect any slipping even if I am a hard on the throttle.
Final question is how big a job is it changing clutch plates......do I need special tools?

Regards,

Greener

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,885 Posts
imported post

Greener; Mine starts to engage about 1/3 out. Doubt you have bad clutch parts. Have you ever changed out the fluid and purged any air in the system by bleeding thoroughly yet?

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

No not yet but I have dragged it a few times when I found myself in traffic and the bike was in second gear starting off at a traffic light. Just wondering if I have worn it out ......I thought not but thought I would check to see what you guys say. I see I can replace the plates for under a $100 from that cyclemax outfit ( I think they advertised plates for the 1500 for around $40 )

Regards,

Greener

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

My 1200 begins to grab almost as soon as the lever starts to travel forward. (I think it prolly needs bled) My 1500 don't start to grab until at least half way out.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Greener, my '96 has 160,000 km's, if you had air in the line it would more likely not disengage, rebuilding the cylinder might help the return of the fluid faster thus sooner engagement. :waving::waving:

·
Pwhoever
3,334 Posts
imported post

Try the simple first. Change the clutch fluid first and you may be pleasantly surprised. I had a similar problem when I didn't change the clutch fluid for a while and just doing that made a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

I have the same clutch issue. It starts to engage 2/3 of the way out, but dont fully engage till it is almost 100% out. I think this is due to the way the system is set up.
I was used to cable systems, that was supposed to have a little play in the after completely engaging, but not the case with the hyd. system
I changed my fluid and bled the system good, but little to no change. If i am riding down the road and want to disengage my clutch all i have to do is just LIGHTLY pull my lever maybe 1/8-3/16 of an inch and she starts to disengage. Doesn't cause any problems.

However at high rpm's i have to be careful of how i switch gears or how quickly i accellerate. If i run through the gears hard or if i am running 4k rpm's and romp down on it i can make the clutch slip!!! However if i am at a standstill and give it a little throttle and ease out on the clutch it will stall out in first gear so the clutch discs arent completely worn out.
If anyone has had these symptoms let me know, because i am fixing to tear into her as soon as cold weather gets here

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Greener wrote:
Can someone tell me where the clutch should engage, like half way out on the release or close to the end of the travel?
Mine seems to engage right at the end of the travel........I do not detect any slipping even if I am a hard on the throttle.
Final question is how big a job is it changing clutch plates......do I need special tools?

Regards,

Greener
My clutch activates when the lever is about 1/3 - 1/2 way out from the handle grip.

Changing the clutch plates will require a special tool to compress the plates. We just replaced the clutch plates in a 1996 Gold Wing Aspencade. Rivets in the metal plates between the fiber plates had broken allowing the clutch plates to bunch up. The clutch lever was extremely hard to pull in to the hand grip.

From your description, I don't believe you have clutch plate problems.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I am now thinking the same thing......
The clutch begins to engage about 1/3 of the way out as you say and begins to engage as soon as I begins to pull on the lever.
I had someone else look at it and they felt it was operating correctly.
I can change the fluid but it appears to be still in good shape..... so is there any point.
Thanks for the info on the clutch tool .... I will begin to look into what it looks like..
Thanks for the comment DBohrer

Regards,

Greener

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.