Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My clutch does not engage until the lever is extended almost all the way out. I would like to have it engage and disengage about half of the way out for better control. The Honda dealer says they are all that way, but thats hard for me to believe. Is he correct, that there is no adjustment for the clutch lever?:stumped:

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Your dealer is correct. No adjustment on the hydraulic clutch.

And welcome to the forum.:action:

JD

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Just make sure the fluid is changed every year, clean out the old from the M/C and bleed fresh through the system. Same with the brakes. Moisture in the fluid is a bad thing and it finds its way in there. Even here in the desert climates.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I was really getting on it this morning. Going threw the gears as fast as possible with lots of gas:thumbsup:. I noticed the clutch seemed to be slow grabbing 3rd.Like a little slippage with hesitation. My thinking was that maybe the clutch is pretty much worn out and that if Iput in a new one that the lever would engage a little sooner also. I've got 140,000 miles on it. Bought it used about a month ago, so I have no idea what has been neglected. I have changed coolant, engine oil and filter, differential oil, front fork seals and oil, left front rotor and both front pads. I understand there are clutch plates and a cage. Any thoughts on this. If I do change the clutch plates how do I know if the cage is worn out? I have read on the forum some people say you have to pull the engine for this and some say you don't. I would be nice to know who is right. It looks like I should buy stock in the local Honda dealer.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If you used oil w/a modifier in it (that add slippery), that would cause the clutch to slip. Many use Delo 400 15-40 or Rotella (for diesels) These are wet clutch plates from the engine oil.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Given 140k miles, the Clutch Slave Cylinder is probably in high need of a re-building... It only takes 1hr and $20 bucks... When it is worn-out, the movement of the clutch lever does not coincide with that of the clutch (eg You'll think that the clutch is dis/engaged, yet the slave cylinder is imparting a Lag in the movement, due to it sticking)

Venco Wings sells a rebuild kit, but you'd do better to just order the following parts (to get a complete set of what commonly wears out): Item#8, 9, 15, 16, 17, 18

Here's mine at about the same mileage:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

When I changed the oil and filter, I used the Honda oil the Honda parts dept. gave me. It looks like I'll rebuild the clutch slave cylinder next. I can change all the fluid at the same time. A very big THANK YOU to everyone who hashelped me. I appreciate your valuable time that you took to input your responses and pictures. Thanks Again.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

That's what makes this forum so good! Learn and help with what you know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.