Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm looking for recommendations for replacement a stator, and clutch plates for my 1986 1200 interstate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
21,986 Posts
Try to find someone who will rebuild your stator. The aftermarket stuff doesn't seem to last very long. And use OEM parts wherever possible.

Why are you replacing the clutch? Or the stator for that matter?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Honda shop manual already. The engine is out of the bike and before I put it back together I want to change out what I can so I don't have to pull out back out later. The bike was sitting for quite a while, at least 5 years, before I got it so I'm going through everything I can. Cleaning and replacing hoses, miscellaneous rubber bits and such. I've rebuilt the carbs, and the forks and brakes are on my to do list as well. I am looking for suggestions for the best replacement parts for the clutch and stator, and what to stay away from

·
Administrator
21,986 Posts
If the stator tests good, it is good and replacing it may increase the probability of failure if you mess with it. Clutch plates last hundreds of thousands of miles normally, but with the long sit it might be good to replace the fibers...And check the damper.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the stator tests good, it is good and replacing it may increase the probability of failure if you mess with it. Clutch plates last hundreds of thousands of miles normally, but with the long sit it might be good to replace the fibers...And check the damper.
I like the way that sounds, i just need to find the post about testing the stator.

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
That link also gives you
static tests.

·
Administrator
24,834 Posts
I you are an electrician by chance or have a buddy that is using a megger to test the stator would be best. If you take the rear cover off you could take it to a electric motor shop for testing.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Shorted winding or open winding is about all you'll find wrong with a stator, it's pretty simple. The magnet is the permanent magnets encased in the rotor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts