Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

My GL1500 has just started to cause concern. It is making a clunk noise when changing up or down through the gears. It has always been a little clunky, but seems to be getting worse.

The gears all select fine, although 1st gear is difficult to find when the bike is hot.

The clutch is not slipping. I asked the mechanic that I use, and he suggests that the clutch plate be renewed.

I would appreciate any feedback, I assume because the clutch is hydraulic that you cant adjust it.

Safe Riding

Dave

Mallorca

Spain

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

JBJ... how many miles on your rig?? What weight oil is in the engine? This time of year, (Spain?) a heavy weight oil will wreak havok with the transmission. Let us know as much information as possible so we can formulate an accurate response. The clutch slave cylinder may require bleeding before replacing the clutch plates. also, has the transmission ever been worked on? :action:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I'd go with Vic first on this one. Bleed the clutch first. The heat in Mallorca will shorten the life of the fluid and bleeding new fluid through the system may just fix it.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

try tieing the clutch lever back to the bars leaving a 20mm gap leave it over night

and see if its better in the morning if this works but the problem returns later in the day then replace all the clutch fluid and blead the system to see if theres a problem

with the clutch its self put it on its main stand with the rear wheel of the ground

remove thepanels that cover the rear part of the engine get a long screw driver and

place it on the rear engine caseing put your ear to the end of the screw driver

get a freind to start the bike hold the rear brake on very lightly then put it in1st gear and slowly let out the clutch there should be avery light cluck if any then a wurring but no abnormal noises if its a heavy clunck the clutch damper disc mite have failed which means a clutch strip down if you need to do this i can tell you how to do it with out buying honda tools but i think its more likley to be a blead problem

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

If its hard to get 1st when the engine is hot then I say its fluid related. Bad brake fluid will usually only work best when cold, when the engine is warm that when the problems start. The fluid is where you will be looking first before going in deeper anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.