Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help I am totally confused now. I pulled the clutch out to clean and check on the bike and as you can see by the circle in red on the clutch plate it was starting to fall apart. I thought I would be clever and put the clutch plates and discs in off the donar bike but here is where the confusion lies. The clutch plates on the donar bike are all a bigger. Internall diameter is the same on both being 120.9mm but the donars ones are definatley bigger. Here are some specs.

Orginal:
Disc thickness: Plates 3.41mm and Disc 2.06
OD: 139.43
ID: 120.9
Basket: ID 142.84
Donar Bike:
Disc thickness: Plates 3.91 and Disc 2.06
OD: 146.6
ID: 120.9
Basket: ID 149.54

The discs on the donar bike have the oil grooves running straight up and down while the orignal ones go clockwise. The rear case has the same measurements so I don't know if I can just swap them over or why one lot has larger dimensions. Did these bikes have two different clutch sizes?

Pleas help any knowledge would be good knowledge at this stage. The manual does not mention anything of other clutches.:?

Auto part Manhole Circle

Circle Flange

Auto part Tire Circle Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

Tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Circle Automotive tire

Circle Auto part

Wheel Alloy wheel Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah it looks the same as the 1000 basket only bigger. I have bitten the bullet now and ordered anew set for the 1000 basket from Saber Cycles and just have to wait for it to arrive in Australia.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am happy to order another set from somewhere else if anyone can recommend a good set. Is the problem with Saber:

I won't get the parts
The parts will be wrong
The parts are faulty
All of the above

Is there a chance that they will send me the right parts but those clutches are no good anyway?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
All of the above has happen to various people and they won't exchange or replace..it's always your fault..for whatever is wrong..you ordered wrong, you installed wrong you, you, you..and they are very nasty about it..from all the posts I've read about them. Basically if you get the right parts and it's good quality(big if) then you are OK but if you have any issues they stonewall you. There is a whole site dedicated to stories about them. If you ask who manufacture the part they won't tell you , if you ask for installation advice/suggestion for best option..for part they won't answer.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I dealt with Saber Cycle for a master cylinder kit. The webpage explicitly stated "We have compared these for fit and don't come back complaining" or words to that effect. Thinking their word was good, I ordered the kit. The piston wasn't even machined round... I chalked it up to experience. When the seller says "We're right and you're not" before the sale, run away. To be fair, they can't stay in business by selling ALL bad parts. But they apparently will NOT stand by their products.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I have not seen any bad reports about the EBC plates so I bought a set of those and if the Saber ones arrive I will just keep them in the shed for backup. Thanks

·
Administrator
28,062 Posts
I have heard they will not ship outside the US. Hope you get your parts, you for sure will not get a refund.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have two lots coming now so hopefully one arrives. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.