Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a 25k mile 87 interstate that wasn't charging. After testing I found the stator was dead, short to ground. Pulled the motor and changed the stator and slid the big chunk back in and started to put it back together. After getting it back together enough to start I grabbed the clutch and it won't budge.

I rebuilt the master cylinder and flushed the system. Took off the slave cylinder and it slides in and out perfectly. When I put it back on the motor and try to squeeze the lever and it moves about an inch and then solid.

Motor starts and runs fine but I can't get the clutch to work. Bike was riding perfectly fine before I tore it apart just wasn't charging.

I am stuck and not sure where to go now. Anyone have an idea?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
A Guy would think it is a rather simple system...huh? :p :unsure: I'll just ramble and see where it takes you.
There is a tiny hole at the bottom of the reservoir that can restrict flow when/if it plugs. Is that fill/return hole open and clean?

Does the master stroke all the way to the bottom and return all the way to the top by itself? If the master does not go 100% "back home" when you release the lever the piston or cup will block the fill/return hole and cause issues. Can you probe the hole gently to be sure you can reach through the hole and touch the bottom of the bore.

I have seen the hydraulic line plug with rust and debris but I assume you must have opened the bleeder on the slave and pumped fluid from the master and through the slave with minimum effort on the lever, correct?

You do have the lifter rod (item number 3) installed with the smaller diameter facing in first?
Honda Motorcycle 1987 OEM Parts Diagram for Clutch Cover | Partzilla.com

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
If the Lever acted normal before the Stator replacement?.

Did you take the clutch assembly apart to inspect the disc's?

Then start with the easy step first.

Place a few towels under the Clutch master. (Have a spray bottle of water & a wet rag handy-For spilled brake fluid)

Slightly crack open the master banjo bolt.
Pull the lever in and Crack open the banjo bolt.

If the lever will now touch the grip?.

Your issue is in the clutch assembly (If you took it apart for inspection?)

Or as Redwing52 pointed out. The Clutch pressure plate Rod could be in backwards. (It happens)

Let us know what you find?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't take the clutch apart. Only took off the clutch and rear cover, swapped the stator and put it all back together. I bled the system through bleeder port on slave cyclinder after I cleaned and rebuilt the master. Fluid coming out looks brand new.

When I try to pull the clutch in it travels about an inch and it sounds like the slave touching the clutch. Like a little tap noise when I pull the lever.

I took the slave cylinder off and double checked the rod was inserted smaller side front. The clutch was working fine before I took the engine out. The manual said to tie the handle down to the grip before removing the slave cylinder. I didn't do that though.

How far should the rod travel into the clutch? When I was reinstalling the slave the rod nearly went all the way through the grommet on the clutch cover. Is it supposed to contact something on the inside or is it just a guide of some sort?

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
You must have let something fall out, the rod should stick out past the seal probably 20-25mm.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Simple installation on the rod,I can’t think of why it would the issue

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I wonder if the rod guide fell out of the bearing and the slave is pushing directly on the bearing? Peek in and see if the bearing is empty. If you stick a rod in the hole to measure from the bottom to flush with the bearing that distance should be about one inch less than the length of the rod. If it is longer than the rod I bet the guide #10 is missing and fell out.

Screenshot (104)_LI.jpg

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check it out. If the lifter piece is missing can I just pull the clutch cover while the engine is in frame or do I have to pull the whole chunk out and do it on the bench?

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
You can remove the cover in the frame.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I took the cluctvh cover off and the bearing and lifter were MIA. Not sure where the darn thing went :unsure: but robbed one off an old donor I had. Slapped it back together and now I have a clutch again.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
So I took the cluctvh cover off and the bearing and lifter were MIA. Not sure where the darn thing went :unsure: but robbed one off an old donor I had. Slapped it back together and now I have a clutch again.

So the Clutch slave piston was hitting the cover. (Missing parts)

ROTFLMAO.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I had the same thought. What if they are laying in the bottom of the rear cover?
If you are arround long enough we all have horror stories like that. I have more than one.

I was changing the timing belt on an Acura TL type S and it had one odd bolt so I screwed it in the appropriate hole just a little/ Got the belt on and started the car just to be sure all was well and it was for about 10 seconds. That is until the odd bolt fell in by the new timing belt and shredded it. Bent valves on both heads. My one day money maker turned in to a 2 week nightmare that cost me money. :oops: o_O:unsure:

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
If you are arround long enough we all have horror stories like that. I have more than one.

I was changing the timing belt on an Acura TL type S and it had one odd bolt so I screwed it in the appropriate hole just a little/ Got the belt on and started the car just to be sure all was well and it was for about 10 seconds. That is until the odd bolt fell in by the new timing belt and shredded it. Bent valves on both heads. My one day money maker turned in to a 2 week nightmare that cost me money. :oops: o_O:unsure:
Yep, been in some of those predicaments.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Redwing52 I put a belt on a Kia. Fired it up to make sure it was in time. It ran a second and the belt flew off..........
Then I got to replace the valves. The hardest part was explain to the customer.
David

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Redwing52 I put a belt on a Kia. Fired it up to make sure it was in time. It ran a second and the belt flew off..........
David
Yikes! Man can I relate to the owner part. The Acura was his baby. Not a scratch or a spot of dust on anything until I got my hands on it. 😕

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
David
Just a question?

What if,
you had pulled the spark module and cranked the engine over a few revolutions, would the belt have seated better, and not come off the pulleys?

I am presuming it was a Serpentine Belt and one of the pulleys did not match up with the belt 100%

·
Registered
201 Posts
It was the timing belt. I had not put the washer and bolt in the crankshaft that keeps the belt on.

Stupid me.
David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts