Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I am a new member and new to riding. Purchased a 1999, 1500 SE in 2010 and really enjoy riding. I did run into an issued last summer with the clutch. There are times, randomly, when the clutch lever will not compress all the way.. Clutch depression is varied, and is solid and anywhere from almost just enough to shift to complete compression and anywhere in between.. I have asked all the people here that ride about this and know one seems to be able to give me any help as to solving this issue.

There are times when I have a hard time shifting.. I checked the Master cyl. and it is fine, Could be the slave or could be the clutch piston or could be in the transmission.. But were does one start and what am I looking for.. If anyone has experienced this and can help i would appreciate any information. And yes, the fluids were all changed last spring as I wasn't sure when they last were.. And I know the correct fluid was install/replaced..

I do have a second issue. That is the fuel consumption of this year/model.. It is not good at all.. I realize that the hotter the day, the better the mileage, but if I see high 20's, that's the best & it should be better.. My mechanic used hotter plugs and tuned up but not much better..

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me.. ELK

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. Not too good with the 15's, but I'd start with a good bleeding of the clutch system. As for the gas milage, if the enrichner/choke is fully off, you can check the air filter.

Keep watching your post as there are lot's of savy 1500 owners here... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Truly I agree with Shooter First Things First. When was the last time you changed the fluid. It should be done I'm not sure of the interval but I might hazard a guess at every two years.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Howdy ELK,
Welcome to the forum.

First off How many miles on your bike? That needs to be in the profile to help in diagnosing. Bikes with low miles will generally have bad fluid in the clutch and brake systems that bleeding alone won't get out, I found out the hard way doing the way you did or you had done.

Start by pulling the slave and pull it apart and clean it. There could be sediment in it that gels over time and restricts the proper action. All of the system would need to be gone into to take apart and clean if any area has gel/ gummy buildup.

When you say you checked the master cylinder, how did you check it? Saying there are lots of ideas of what checking is. Only right way is pull it apart on these bikes as these systems are small bore, most times you can clean the seals if caution is used on removal and they are put into fresh brake fluid immediately , cleaned in it and kept in clean brake fluid until returning it back into the bores, be it a master, slave or caliper.

As to your shifting. What are you using for oil in the motor?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

As to fuel consumption I get 30 if I don't put the hammer down too hard, But I loose control of my self control sometimes. :lash: Just too much fun and the Daytona mufflers and Bassanni pipes just sound too good above 4,000 rpm,
anything above 3,000 rpm and we are opening the fuel pour valve to dump position. just the facts of the beast unless you can come up with a fix.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

In 2009 I purchased my 1997 with 12,500 miles. My mileage was in the high 20 miles per gallon for the first few tankful's of gas. I started to add a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to each tank. Did this for a month & the MPG came up to 35mpg. I think my carbs were gummed & the MMO cleaned & lubed the carb sliders. You might try MMO or seafoam for a few tanks to see if your MPG improves.

Be careful with using "hotter" spark plugs. Using them might burn your valves & pistons. There's an excellent article about spark plugs in the Feburary 2012 issue of Rider Magazine in the tech section....-Rich

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

"...There are times, randomly, when the clutch lever will not compress all the way.. Clutch depression is varied, and is solid and anywhere from almost just enough to shift to complete compression and anywhere in between."
> +1 on cleaning and possibly rebuilding the Clutch Slave Cylinder.
> The clutch fluid needs to be replaced every 2yrs... yet even with that, the cylinder will eventually collect a lot of gunk.

"...the fuel consumption of this year/model.. I see high 20's..."
> Normal is 35-40 mpg... Worse if you're heavy-handed.
> Things to check: Tire pressure too low (s/b 41 psi); rubbing brakes; stuck carb slides; stuck choke always On; idle speed too high.
> Does the bike accelerate Smoothly from a stop, or are there any dead spots?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

All good thoughts, thanks and I have to say that, I have had all the fluids changed last spring well before my clutch/shifting issue started.. Yes the bleed of the master was done, and the lever pulls in all the way, so my machanic says the master seems fine, has to be further on. This is the problem, everyone here in my area, who rides, has many have decaides of riding and we have a couple that are machanics too.. I talked to a Honda service manager in the area and he too, is baffled at this,, Has never heard of it happening... I guess that is why I am, as well as the machanic, are at a loss...

As for the fuel milage.. Yes I am heavy handed some times, but I see the 1998 & 7"s and the motors are the same.. why should they get 40 + at any speed and these 99's just suck... Not understanding...

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

As for mileage, I have a 96 se and I am very heavy handed. When riding gently I get about 40 mpg but when riding agressively I have cut my mileage down to between 30 and 35. But I think 30 is about the worst I ever get. So if you are getting only 20 that's way too low, even if you are very agressive.

You should be seeing at least in the low 30's even if you are agressive.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yes I know I should but the 99's seem to be pigs.. So far I have not heard from anyone with a 99 that can provide a solution to this problem.. Even the guys in my area can/haven't come up with something to get better milage..

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

It is possible that the previous owner Re-jetted the Carbs, creating a richer fuel mixuture, and in-turn worse gas milage.

No way to discern that condition, short of opening the carbs and replacing the needles with stock.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Ethanol.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
> That drops my milage by about 5 mpg (eg Get 35 rather than the typical 40mph)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Nearly all the gas I run in mine is 10% ethanol, as far as I know.

Ya, I do manage to hit the odd gas station that sells e-free gas, but not many.

I average 37-38mpg US with my 92. Most I have ever gotten from a tank is 244 miles. The least amount was 95 miles! ( but I will not tell you how fast I was travelling!:NO:)

I'm not a big 'hot rodder' (although some who ride with me call me fairly aggressive) and by no means am I a 'dawdler'. :coollep:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.