Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was on my 1200 maiden ride today. Quick 69 miles, mostly highway . I was checking everything for feel and correctness.

The clutch disengages and engages at about an 1/8 pull of the lever. The manual says that engagig to close the the grip means air in the syastem but doesnt say anything about too far out. I havnt loked to see if there is an adjustment since both clymer and haynes manual say that being hydro it doesnt need adjustment.

Am I gonna find my elf with no clutch on a long ride??

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like your clutch release is just about right, the hydraulic clutches aren't really adjustable and they do release with very little motion of the lever. That doesn't mean the clutch is worn either, it's just the nature of the hydraulic system. A cable clutch always has a bit of stretch in the cable and some comrpression in the housing when you operate it which generates some free play. Also a cable clutch has to have some slack introduced to make sure it fully releases the clutch.A hydraulic clutch system has very little monkey motion, the fluid isn't compressible so the only slop in it at all would be hose dilation which is usually very slight since the operating pressure is so low. Also the pressure is fully released when the lever is let go so no free play has to be built in. Result is a clutch that's very easy to operate and does so very little free play. So relax and enjoy the ease of operation.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

:cooler:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.