Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 GL1000
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yes you can remove the cover without draining the oil, you might loose a spoon full.
HA! A spoon full!? More like a half quart! Or does that mean there is a problem?

I replaced parts 12, 8, 6, 9, 7 , and 11 and added washers for the two nuts (part 13) which seemed reasonable even though only one washer seems to be listed on the parts diagram. Also replaced the gasket. Hopefully it won't drip oil now. Truth be told, the "new" parts looked worse than the ones I replaced. That said, the bike seems to shift better now than before. Could be I'm imagining that. Still it seems to shift better now.

In any case, I really like riding this bike. My only other bike is an '84 Interceptor VF1000F. Shhhhhh don't tell her I like the GL1000 a little bit better. Let's just keep this among friends.

Next stop, a simple oil change.

·
Administrator
26,343 Posts
HA! A spoon full!? More like a half quart! Or does that mean there is a problem?
That could mean the scavenger pump is plugged up. Too much oil in the clutch housing can cause the clutch to drag.

·
Premium Member
1978 GL1000
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
That could mean the scavenger pump is plugged up. Too much oil in the clutch housing can cause the clutch to drag.
Thanks for the info DaveO430! Well, since step one of removing the scavenger pump is to remove the engine, I'll probably not be exploring this further right now. Besides, the clutch doesn't drag at present. The oil that dumped out was nasty though, so I plan to change that and the filter. Can only make things better.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts