Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'90 1500; '00 1500
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1500 clutch hydraulics slowly lose pressure after being held in for ~10 seconds. I was going to do a normal vacuum flush but the upper banjo bolt presents a problem there. If I put the bike on center stands with handlebars to the right (so banjo is below master), will a vacuum still clear all air pockets? Would a reverse flush be a better idea in case the air is in the lower banjo bolt? I've heard cases where the line will not want to bleed or flush at all; Would a reverse flush still work in that situation or is that going to be a good ol lever pump job or banjo bleed? Would zip-tying the lever down during the flush help at all or will that risk air pockets in the new fluid?

Also, any tips on where to pick up a large syringe and appropriate tubing would be great, couldn't find a good syringe at a normal hardware store.

Thanks

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
Vacuum flush has always worked for me. While the reservoir is empty, make sure to clean out the return hole. (Under the little cover widget.) Also, it's a good idea to clean out the slave while you're working on the system.

Oh, and a vet supply might have a syringe, or just use a baster.

·
Registered
'90 1500; '00 1500
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vacuum flush has always worked for me. While the reservoir is empty, make sure to clean out the return hole. (Under the little cover widget.) Also, it's a good idea to clean out the slave while you're working on the system.

Oh, and a vet supply might have a syringe, or just use a baster.
Great, thanks, I'll check for a vet supply nearby. Is the slave cylinder a bit of a project on it's own or is that relatively simple? I'm not all too familiar with hydraulics... or Goldwings. heh.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
That sounds a lot more like you have an issue with the master cylinder if the slave is not leaking or losing fluid.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
This has been beat around for while,IF the inner seal is leaking on the slave it can have a path to the engineoil,it’s a PITA to get rebuild but can be done.

·
Registered
'90 1500; '00 1500
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds a lot more like you have an issue with the master cylinder if the slave is not leaking or losing fluid.
I believe you may be correct, the flush went great but still having the problem. Also, despite the reverse flush, the first few times I pumped the lever there were small streams of bubbles coming from the return - could that have something to do with a faulty master?
This has been beat around for while,IF the inner seal is leaking on the slave it can have a path to the engineoil,it’s a PITA to get rebuild but can be done.
The old fluid was very very full when I cracked the reservoir open. If it were the slave, wouldn't this quick of a loss of pressure mean a pretty severe leak and a lot of lost fluid, or could it be pretty minor while still losing almost all pressure over ~30 seconds?

·
Administrator
26,576 Posts
The old fluid was very very full when I cracked the reservoir open. If it were the slave, wouldn't this quick of a loss of pressure mean a pretty severe leak and a lot of lost fluid, or could it be pretty minor while still losing almost all pressure over ~30 seconds?
You are correct, if the slave was the problem the system would loose fluid. You just need a master cylinder kit.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I believe you may be correct, the flush went great but still having the problem. Also, despite the reverse flush, the first few times I pumped the lever there were small streams of bubbles coming from the return - could that have something to do with a faulty master?

If it was full then you aren’t loosing fluid,if the slave isnt showing signs of leaking ( on the slave there is a vented space to allow the escaping fluid to drop out but it plugs up with road grime and if the seal is leaking there will be no sign) mine was plugged up an was leaking through the inner seal.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
I would clean out the slave. Pouring new fluid into a dirty environment...well, that seems like a waste of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts