Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had anyone rebuilt there own master cylinder on there own? Clymers manual recommends I take it to dealer.wondering how it went or if spring has too much tension where special tools are needed.85 gl1200 limited.

Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
Well,
I have my bike's clutch cylinder "rebuilt and flushed" 6 weeks ago, at a 'master repair' shop.
they still don't work.... :sick:(n)馃憗

DaveO430 is going to work his magic on it this week (y)

Administrator
It's really no big deal. If you have snap ring pliers, a screwdriver and 10mm wrench that's all you need. Just be sure to get the tiny hole under the little metal cover cleaned out.

Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
On the sohc fours a lot of rebuilt masters need to be bled at the banjo when first built dry.
WEAR WORKSHOP GLOVES and with banjo bolt removed but to hand with pipe and washers put gloved finger over outlet and pull in lever, release finger and reaply, release lever and pull in again. Keep repeating untill you feel pressure trying to push finger off the hole. At this point hold lever in and attach pipe with bolt and washers.

Gloves are a must as the only thing worse than brake fluid for causing dermatitis is not hydraulic oil

Registered
On the sohc fours a lot of rebuilt masters need to be bled at the banjo when first built dry.
WEAR WORKSHOP GLOVES and with banjo bolt removed but to hand with pipe and washers put gloved finger over outlet and pull in lever, release finger and reaply, release lever and pull in again. Keep repeating untill you feel pressure trying to push finger off the hole. At this point hold lever in and attach pipe with bolt and washers.

Gloves are a must as the only thing worse than brake fluid for causing dermatitis is not hydraulic oil
So THATS why i cant get pressure! Ditto the brake fluid on our hands. One question though, what tool or method is used to clean the Tiny hole?

Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
To do it right you need to dissassemble the master and then i use a strand from a wire brush, a lot of people say guitar string(not sure which one). Other thing is with it in bits you can put a small torch inside the reservoir over the hole and see light down the bore if the hole is clear.

Administrator
His 'torch' is what we call a Flashlight :cool:

just didn't want you to "melt" things (y)

Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
Its been said that US and UK are two countries separated by the same language! I try to write your way but sometimes forget-- sorry guys

Administrator
Its been said that US and UK are two countries separated by the same language! I try to write your way but sometimes forget-- sorry guys
I just had to be "funning with you", I knew what you meant, and likely he did too...
no problems at all, or is that No Problemo ??

as we are being invaded from the South, the major spoken language here now is Hispanic

Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
I have a 1985 GL1200 Aspencade and the clutch wasn't shifting "cleanly" so I bought both the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder rebuild kits. First I did the clutch slave cylinder rebuild, which took about an hour to complete, and I'm slow (but thorough!:)) and it seemed to do the trick, well enough to enjoy smooth shifting during a 2,800+ mile trip. And, since I bought the master cylinder rebuild kit, too, I'll do that next just because I'm cheap and already bought the kit....:sneaky:

Registered
To do it right you need to dissassemble the master and then i use a strand from a wire brush, a lot of people say guitar string(not sure which one). Other thing is with it in bits you can put a small torch inside the reservoir over the hole and see light down the bore if the hole is clear.
From another thread i clamped the brake lever to the grip to let it drip overnight. that turned out to be 6 days now, I'll check it today. If it worked Good for me, if not, i`ll try the disassemble and torch method and if that doesn't work i`ll try a different approach, Prefilling each component from bottom up instead of the gravity method.

Administrator
From another thread i clamped the brake lever to the grip to let it drip overnight. that turned out to be 6 days now, I'll check it today. If it worked Good for me, if not, i`ll try the disassemble and torch method and if that doesn't work i`ll try a different approach, Prefilling each component from bottom up instead of the gravity method.
You are not supposed to let it drip. Bleed it the best you can, pump the brake to get the firmest lever you can then tie the lever back.

Reactions: Bike...and Dennis
1 - 16 of 16 Posts