Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone has different riding styles which begets short/long clutch life.
The longer our Wings last the harder it is to calculate when the clutch is about to go.
So to try and find a ''heads up'' time to become aware of its demise, maybe we can narrow this down a little so not be broke down on the road.
What is the average/usual mileage the clutch plates will need changing?
Anyone have info as WHAT to look for when the clutch plates are about to expire?

:?

__________ INFO form the group ________________
1.) Slippage.
___ (When is the first sign of slippage? Full throttle in gear 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5?)
___ (When I power shift, the plates slip for 1/2 second till the oil is squeezed out)

2.) clutch lever will be hard to squeeze rivets in the plates get worn into, they'll fall out

3.) old friction plates (at 70K).. but they still miked .010" thicker than the new plates from Bike Bandit.
___ (Definitely good and NEEDED info)

4.)

5.)

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I think you nailed it saying different riding styles yield different results. In theory a clutch system will last almost indefinitely in a car or street motorcycle for me. Others may need to replace a clutch pack every now and then. I've replaced clutches on dirt bikes and ATVs but that's because I rode 'em doggone hard. It just doesn't seem like you could determine a useful average on this particular item on the 'Wings(?)

BUT...your question is an interesting one and I look forward to what folks have to say on the subject...thanks for asking.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Don't know about mileage for reasons that you stated, but the first common symptom would be slipping under load. Another thing would be that when the rivets in the plates get worn into, they'll fall out, and the clutch lever will be hard to squeeze. That's all I've read about on other forums. Still on my original at 100K.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
+1 for the slipping is a good indication it is time to do something. Any clutch can have a major failure and Collapse unexpectedly but that is less common. No set mileage due to use and operator style as well as varying clutch materials available.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
150,000 miles on my `98 S.E. and I have no idea how long the clutch will last. I pull a Kwik Kamp quite a bit in the summer months. Just don`t use energy conseving oil, or additives like Slick 50. i like to change clutch fluid every year.

gumbyred

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
It's very hard to know how long Goldwing clutches will last. Most of them just seem to keep on working.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My new to me 80 wing appears to be out of clutch cable adjustment. Its not fully disengaging with the lever pulled all the way. I've adjusted the cable all the way out at both ends but it still pulls when in gear. I know its a bit off topic and I was going to start a new thread on it but its distantly related. It doest seem like this would indicate a problem with the clutch, but I don't know.

Bill

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
;)Stretched out clutch cable from age/use.
Now back to the topic at hand...

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I wish car clutches lasted as long as the ones in Goldwings. I wonder how many 20 or 30 year old cars still running on an original clutch?

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
Good point Tom. I've go through a few car clutches in my lifetime to date, but never had to replace one on any motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
After returning from NASSIR I in Georgia, my stator went south. The Wing was showing about 70K and I figured as long as the motor was out I might as well do the clutch-pack. Now granted, the old friction plates were oil soaked, but they still miked .010" thicker than the new plates from Bike Bandit. Never the less, the new parts went in...:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.