Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took the old girl out for a ride today after she sat for two weeks while I was on vacation. I noticed that while idling in neutral there was an unusual noise and when I pull the clutch in it stops. What could this be and what should I check for? The clutch reservoir is full. It seems to be shifting ok as well. I've never heard this noise before.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

If pulling in or engaging the clutch makes the noise go away, it's not in the clutch. In neutral, the transmission input shaft is spinning with the engine. Engaging the clutch stops the input shaft from spinning, thus eliminating the noise. You might try a sync. There isn't much you can dofrom the outside. Is it severe, or just "noticeable"?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Are you sure this noise just started, or you just noticed it? I have had a lot of bikes that would make a rattling noise when the clutch was pulled in, It always went away when the clutch was engaged. Depends on how bad it is.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Nothing severe but its noticable and the first time I've heard it. She is overdue an oil change as well. I normally change it ever 3000 but its been almost 5000 on this last one. I wil be doing the oil change this week on it. I doubt that has anything to do with it but I need to get it done anyway.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

That isn't unusual Parman. Most GL1500s even from new have a light rumble from the gearbox that goes away when you pull the clutch.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

It is a light rumble. Nothing loud so I guess I'll just keep an open ear to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It is a light rumble. Nothing loud so I guess I'll just keep an open ear to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Ditto englishted, should be the normal " freak me out "
noise that all 1500s have as the clutch is normally loud.
The 1500 is a great bike but clutch and trans. shift like a tractor " or Harley " !!!

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

I agree with Englishted and machinehead. All 1500 Wings seem to have a rumble, which varies in loudness from bike to bike. It isn't anything to worry about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.