1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is hard to describe,and since I am new to goldwings I find

myself again needing the help of you floks to help determin if I

have a problem and what it would take to fix it.

My 84 GL1200 Aspencade with 122000 miles, when just starting

to roll off in 1st will start off normally, and then after you go a foot

or two you will fill a "bump" for like of a better description, as if

the clutch or final geer fully engages. The bike runs fine and shifts

fine.

I have checked the rubber dampers in the final drive and they look

good. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help,

Wayne

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

How did you get Guru status here if you are new to Gold Wings?

Anyways, check your driveline slack by putting your Wing on the center stand, in gearand rotate the rear tire back and forth so you can measure the travel of the slack. Come back here after and post how much travel you find. Could be a U joint, driveshaft, rear splines, drive rubbers, loose swingarm, cracked frame, etc., etc.

Vic

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
How did you get Guru status here if you are new to Goldwings.?
Ahem ! ! ! ! Sharp observation Goldwinger1984, This "Guru" is now been giving out like the "Mana" Where does it all end.? :gunhead: I dont want any "Guru" i just want some "Mana" to keep my four (4) barrels nice and Green. :clapper:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Have one on me Redwing, you deserve it... though begging for it is pretty declasse. What's the gaelic word for it? ;)

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I gave you one also Redwing because you are Irish, therefore, you need a wee bit more green on your displayand also because you are a very active member, but I will not forward another if you beg again. LOL

Vic

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Well the guru thing is for those that know what they are talking about, according to Steve and wexman. The people that know there stuff stand out, I think they deserve the new tag (even though it just a bit of fun anyway) as posters like that are a great help to everybody. Post count doesn't matter in that regard. I seen this before on other (non-bike) forums and its a nice touch.

Redwing has the best tag though, us non-gurus have a long way to go so lets keep on posting even if we don't know what we are talking about!!

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I'll try and post this again. My first try today went into cyber space and I don't know where it is now.
I should have stated on the original "clutch or final drive" question that I have checked the free play with
the bike on the center stand. It has about 1&1/2 " of free play.

I have also checked the u-joint, cleaned and lubed all splines. everything looks good from the transmission
back.

I guess I am leaning more towards the clutch and broken or week tension springs. Like I said before, the
bike runs and shifts fine, it just seems to start off normally in first gear, and then you feel a jolt like something
becomes fully engaged. I once had an old mustang that had broken clutch spring that reminds me of the way this bike feels. Anyway, I am by no means an expert on a goldwing. That is why I ask for ideas from this group as I'm sure someone has had similar symptoms

Again thanks for any help,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the clutch or even loose engine mountings. If it only happens after you move off thenm the drive is already taken up so this would rule out the rear end. My money is on clutch or mountings being loose.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey exavid & Goldwinger1984, Im not begging you for "Mana" :X im canvassing just like George Bush did,:whip: to get back to the white house, or was he begging for votes.:gunhead: Hey Goldwinger 1984, you can only give "Mana" once to any member. :baffled:I have given "Mana" to most members, but when I tried to give a second dose I was not allowed, :shock:so you better take back that "Mana" that you give me, :crying:because im quite sure there are more deserving members on this board. :( Hey Budegan, This is some tag that I have. :grinner:I was awarded this tag for posting the most rubbish on this board, :clapper: if i could find the keys of my :18red:i would not have as much time for posting rubbish, but as you say its only a bit of fun. :leprechaun:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

At that mileage, clutch would be a good bet. Cracked plate (fairly common) or basket perhaps.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Now that we're getting down to it, I don't think red is the fastest color! Seems to me it's always on stop lights and signs, a beautiful green is really the fastest color. In the U.S. we know that green is hard to hang on to.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Now that we're getting down to it, I don't think red is the fastest color! Seems to me it's always on stop lights and signs, a beautiful green is really the fastest color. In the U.S. we know that green is hard to hang on to.
HELLLOOOOOOOO :waving:...Funny thing is here in Ireland ...GREEN is for grief..:X:X.....

thats why there are so few green cars /motorcycles/vans /trucks ....Give me red anyday ,or orange or blue or even yellow anything but green :D:D

As redwing says ,it is the fastest colour,,:waving::waving::waving::waving:cheers Ciaran

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I also have felt the 'bump' as described by Wayne. I don't get it all the time, just once in awhile when starting out. I suspect it might be coming from the spring loaded cam in the output shaft. If the cam rides up a bit on the ramp under the torque load of starting out from a standstill, and then once the clutch is fully in and the initial load eases off just a bit it might snap back down to the bottom of the ramp. That could provide the odd little 'bump'. On my bike when it does happen it's as though a splined shaft jumped a notch, it's not a real hard shock, just like the drive line slipped a little bit.Possibly the spring is getting a little weak and allowing the cam to climb on the ramp a little easier.

I haven't been noticing it lately, and it only occured once in awhile. I don't think it's in the final drive, u-joint or other parts in that area since I've had them apart and they are all in good shape.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.