Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Nope, not at all. All you need to remove is the clutch cover and have at it. Nothing on the bike needs to be removed, and only relevant parts on the motor needs to come off. Pretty easy job if you have the right tools. I used to, until I lent them to a fellow winger here on the boards...

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

PLEASE INDICATE WHAT SPECIAL TOOLS ARE NEEDED AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT .

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

There is a special clutch nut socket. It is a 4 prong deal that can be made from another socket with some grinding or purchased on Flea Bay. The plates and springs can be changed but unless the frame is different from the 1000 you can not change the basket with the engine in. Hopefully one of the 1100 Guru's will be along shortly to verify that.

p.s. all caps is considered unpolite. kind of like yelling.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I thank you kindly for you info, and advice on proper
spelling.Politeness should be of every mans consern thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Here's what the tool looked like originally. Motion Pro 08 0015

And then I had to grind off some of the inside of the prongs to make it fit.

If if this former board member would return it, I would appreciate it:

Bill Smith
2535 Eastcleft Drive
Upper Arlington, Ohio 43221

Been almost a year now....

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Whats the size of the socket? I think i can try to grind
one .Thank you once again

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I never home made one, but I think they say to use a 1" socket. 3/8" drive would be best, you don't need a whole lot torque on it.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Great ., you also mentioned flee bay isthat a web site?.
do you know where i cound buy one? thanks

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

If you want a Motion Pro part, visit or call your local bike shop, and give them the MP part number of 08 0015. The number is stamped on the tool in the first picture. Print it out and take it with if needed.

It wasn't me, but Flea Bay is some peoples name for ebay. I've made a good bit of money and deals on ebay, so I call it by it's name.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

once again thanx . were can i buy a set of after market
clutch plates including the springs and metal plates

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I am out of town, and getting ready for work, but EBC and a couple of others make clutch and spring kits for the bike. I'll try and get you some links when I get back to the hotel or home tonight. Did a quick Google search, came up with 1 right away.

http://www.starcycle-usa.com/servlet/Detail?no=10805

You're looking for EBC kit CK1159 for the discs only. A local bike shop could order them too. A generic bike shop, not a Honda dealer. Unless you have to have Honda plates.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

Hi

I have a 1982 gl1100A , and was wondering if I can change the clutch springs and plates, without haveing to remove rear wheel and muffler, if i leave the clutch housing in place.

thank you

Larry

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Jose, PM me your address and I'll loan you my clutch tool. I did my GL1000 with it and now it just sits in my tool box waiting for a clutch to die. And thanks for your service in Vietnam. I turned 18 right after they stopped the draft. My brother spent his stint in the navy cruising the med and carribean. Go figure

Don

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I dove into the GL1100 clutch today after reading all sorts of posts on the procedure being fiddly, complicated, time consuming, etc...It's a doddle. Took about 20 minutes., caught the oil in a pan, undid the inner springs, undid the nut and; voila: plates all over the place.
You should try adjusting the clutch on a Vincent someday if you want fiddly. The GL1100 motor is a model of overbuilt simplicity. Having over 20 bikes I have fallen in love with their largesse - kind of like waking up next to the love of your life after she's gained 50 pounds, but still handles well.
Cheers,
Zaphod

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I dove into the GL1100 clutch today after reading all sorts of posts on the procedure being fiddly, complicated, time consuming, etc...It's a doddle. Took about 20 minutes., caught the oil in a pan, undid the inner springs, undid the nut and; voila: plates all over the place.
Anyone can take a Goldwing clutch and even the engine apart.

It's putting it back together correctly so that it works that separates the men from the boys.:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Registered
11 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.