Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch on my '02 GL1800 does not release enough to allow the cruise control to engage. It has worked fine in the past but the cruise started not to engage intermittently. If I push the clutch lever out a little more with my fingers while riding the cruise works just fine. I tried to adjust the resistance dial on the lever but does not seem to help and don't want to adjust it very far for fear of screwing something else up.

Is there another way to adjust the clutch to release far enough?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
22,388 Posts
The parts are getting worn. Look at how the lever works, there's a little brass piece and/or the rod that goes in to that piece. Or the pivot point, or the clutch master. If any show significant wear they can cause issues.

Also, make sure there's nothing physical getting in the lever's way.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Clutch lever bushing is worth and the micro switches are not contacting as intended. $20 lever bushing kit will fix you up in 15 minutes. Try Wingstuff, it's where I bought my kit. Easy least. Be sure to lube the bushings also, they last longer. Clutch sides wears you faster than brake side.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: limpy45

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
Is that bushing located just above the retaining bolt (looks like there is a spring in there)? Any adjustment required after reinstalling the lever?
Pastot, I found the kit on Wingstuff.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's around the hinge bolt itself. Remove the nut on the bottom and unscrew the bolt from the top. The brass bushing is pressed into the lever itself. Repair kit comes with a rod to tap out the old bushing and tap in the new one.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, I will get going on this.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
After checking the bushing, check the bolt that goes thorough the lever that hold it in place... back of just a touch and nut on bottom.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, fix complete thanks to your tips. Honda dealer had one bushing in stock as Sprocketrocket55 suggested. Marked the position of the clutch lever, removed it, lubed and replaced bushing, reassembled. Clutch felt much better with no play on test ride and cruise functions.
I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Have you tried lubing the lever pivot so it moves super freely, otherwise may be hydraulics binding a bit or spring in small operating switch gone weak.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did lube the pivot post, wasn't sure if I should but figured it couldn't hurt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts