Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently bought an 83 interstate. Fist bike in many years but I am a true Goldwing fan. The bike has only 28k on it. It starts and runs like a champ. However after 2 days of ownership, the front brake froze up. Through other posts here, I did a rebuild of the front master cyl and bleed all the lines, put new pads on and a new rotor as the caliper that locked up warped the rotor.

Thought that fixed it all, however, the brakes froze up again in traffic. It seems to happen when they get hot. I plan on rebuilding the calipers and replacing the lines as that should take care of it. However, during this last time I was trying to get the bike to a safe place off the road with the brake locked up. The bike seemed to be losing drive power the futher I went (only about 3 blocks). Once I parked it and let the bike cool, the brakes released. So, when I tried to continue on, the bike will not go into gear. I can shift, but it is like the bike is in neutral even when I know it is in 2nd or 3rd gear. Did I burn out the clutch pushing it to the safe spot?

If it is the clutch, does anyone know if I must remove the engine to replace the clutch plates? The clymer book makes it sound like older models can remove the clutch assembly w/o removing the engine, but 82 & 83 models require the engine to be removed. Could it be something besides the clutch? If you have ideas on the brakes also, that would be appreciated, but the clutch concerns me more.

Your help will be appreciated as I am anxious to ride again.

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks for the welcome. This site is awesome.

I played with the cable last night and I think that is the issue. When I have the bike on the center stand, The rear wheel starts to move if I put the bike into first gear. However, I cannot seem to get it to stop moving when I pull in the clutch. I have gotten it to where if I have the clutch pulled in and I shift down to 3rd gear or up, the bike does die if I let out the clutch but will keep running with the clutch pulled in. The wheel spins slowly. In first gear when I let out the clutch and give the bike gas, the wheel does get power.

When adjusting the cables I am assuming screwing the cable all the way into the lever at the handle bar is loosening the cable. I did that, then I loosened the cable t the clutch location. Now just not sure correct way to get it so the clutch stops all power going to the wheel when pulled in.

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks for all the help. Okay, 2 new issues. The clutch seems to shift okay, however, now when I give the bike a good go on the throttle, the clutch slips. I can only get the bike up to 65-70 now as it really slips in OD.

The yesterday, the tach quit working and the bike would not start. Put on a new battery and that fixed the starting. Checked both ends if the tack and they are connected. So do tach cables break in the middle? Starting to feel lioke I am having to redo the whole bike.

Any help on the clutch would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.