Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have an 85 Aspencade and last night developed clutch problems. The clutch has too much play and shifting is very hard. It creeps ahead when the clutch pulled tight.

Iread a previous thread that was a lot of help but I don't know what the slave looks like. Is the master on the handlebar or is that just the reservoir? I took the cover off and the fluid is low, brown colored and kinda gunky.

Any step-by-step directions will be appreciated.:D

Thanks,

Lars

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Hi Lars, the clutch slave cylinder is on the very back of the engine, bolted to the clutch housing. You can get to the bleed nipple with an 8mm socket from the left side of the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

be careful when you bleed the clutch... if you get air into the master cylinder it is VERY hard to get out. The air buble gets caught in the banjo fitting at the master cylnder. you can actually passively bleed it by allowing the new fluid to flow out the bottom by gravity. It sounds as if the previous owner did not keep up on fluid replacment. bleeding out the system may solve your problem, so I would start there. Also, make sure you do not get brake fluid on the paint!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks Steve and Rodger for your help. The master cyl was really gunky. I cleaned it all out and filled it with clean fluid. Then Ibled the slave cyl but got no air. I let it run until clear fluid came out. Then refilled the master and pumped the clutch. Some bubbles came out and now it's rock-solid.

Thanks again for your help and a GREAT website.

Lars:)

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Although this thread is a couple years old, I also used the information to solve the same problem on my '84 Goldwing. It sure saved me a lot of money by not having to rely on the dealer. Thanks!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.