Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gl 1100 /1980. It sat for about 10 years in my garage after i started having clutch problems on the bike. Also raising kids money , etc. Ha ha. now I've got the carbs overhauled, wouldn't idle.
It's running good now. Now I'm trying to figure out if i got clutch or trans problems.

I've replaced clutch cable and adjusted it nine ways to Sunday !
Years ago i replaced friction disks and cable ,
but failed to do the springs . in hind site i think the springs have gone soft.

It was slipping when taking off when clutch was almost released in first , and became hard to downshift or upshift or pop into neutral.

Neutral light sometimes stays on.

Is the clutch the main issue? Trying to get the baby rolling again!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,567 Posts
There is a plate in there that is actually two plates held together with springs. Honda calls it "plate B". The rivets on those can give out over time and the clutch starts slipping.

·
Administrator
26,136 Posts
You say slipping when almost released? What about when it's completely released and in higher gears? The clutch has nothing to do with the neutral light, pretty common for the neutral switch to get shorted with carbon. Have you adjusted the screw on the back of the clutch cover?

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i figured the neutral light was a separate issue.

I saw that in my Clymer book. Now as for the screw on the clutch cover , i cant remember if i ever tried that.

On mine their is a large removable screw plug right in the middle of the cover and a small screw and jam nut behind it inside the cover, I'm sure that's the one you refer to.

I will check and readjust with the book. As far as slipping when released on a higher gear ( like 4th or 5th? ) don't remember it slipping any. Mainly when taking off and shifting up and down not smoothly

·
Administrator
26,136 Posts
If the clutch is slipping it will do it worse in higher gears.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any slippage would be from the clutch right ? only noticed it like maybe first or second when kind of like at the top of the release. Then it just got harder to shift don't remember it's slipping in fourth or fifth. I was doing mostly in town driving

·
Administrator
26,136 Posts
The hard to shift is more like the clutch dragging, not slipping. Does it lurch when you put it in gear?

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not hard but yes, it does bump forward?? And it's stiff to shift down or up. It seems like it started with what felt like slippage when at almost the clutch released in lower gears. Then became harder to shift also... Been researching to figure out next step and suckin up all the help

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you recently changed the oil and with proper type oil? I had shifting problems once, thought the stealer had changed the oil (but they didn't) and the shifting was not smooth at all. Looked at oil and it was black (it never was when I changed the oil myself), changed the oil and all better.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I havent yet, i was rebuilding the carbs. Its been sitting for 10 years. I started having shifting / clutch problems and i parked it. It been in good dry storage. I put new friction plates in the clutch back then because i thought it was slipping. Now after talking here i believe i have i have clutch drag. I'm pretty sure I changed the oil then but it has sat a long time I bought new springs for the clutch but went to figure out what's wrong first I probably should change the oil others have said the same as you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts