58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How often have you had to bleed yers?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

I have owned my 85 Aspencadesince 1992 and I had to bleed them only once. This may go against recommendations, but the way I look at it is, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Every two-three years at time of fluid change...

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I've got an 86 Aspy and only bleed the systems every 3 to 4 years.. If you have never done it, do it...

In most cases, as soon as the fluid begins to darken, it's time to flush it out.. Use DOT 4 fluid..

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

I have to bled mine once a year at least. Especially when the weather gets hot. also I have to keep an eye on the fluid level. i think I have a small internal leak at the slave cylinder.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Are you having a problem or just asking for information?

3 - 4 years is normal...

If you're having a problem with the clutch going "low" every couple of months then check the gasket at the reservoir. If the screws are tightened excessively they can split the gasket at the mating surfaces allowing air air into the system. This will cause a low handle condition as air "seeps" into the lines.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well, I had it bled when I first bought the bike in June, and recently had it bled again. The guy that worked on it said it probably has a leaky slave down at the motor.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

TUNDRA_schumacher wrote:
Well, I had it bled when I first bought the bike in June, and recently had it bled again. The guy that worked on it said it probably has a leaky slave down at the motor.
Well... Personally I'd check the gasket at the master cylinder first. Take it out and cover the master cylinder, bend the gasket where it mates to the cylinder and see if you can see any splits. If so order another one. Even the smallest split can allow air into the lines.

If it's good then think about slave. The idea is to start with the easy/little things first. That master cylinder gasket is easy to over torque and easy to miss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.