Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was wondering where the clutch should start to engage as you letout the clutch lever? Mine seems to not engage untilthe leveris over half way out. I don't get any slipping at any rpms even when really getting on the gas. I have a 84 Aspencade. I was just curious. Was wondering if I should start looking for clutch plates to replace this winter? Thanks, Randy

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

When was the last time you changed the hydraulic fluid in your clutch? Even if your clutch is working fine you should change the fluid every couple of years to prevent corrosion in the system since hydraulic fluid draws in moisture which can cause severe problems in the system.

You should also keep the lever bushing and master cylinder contact end lubricated to prevent wear and help make lever operation easier.

After all this, if the lever is not bent or incorrect and your clutch does not slip you shopuld be OK. If the lever position bothers you in day to day driving there are aftermarket levers available or you can modify the lever yourself for a custom position that suits your hand and driving style.

Vic

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Forgot to mention that you should also check for excessive wear on the clutch lever itself and the lever bushing. If you don't feel any mechanical sloppiness or loose fit the flush and bleed should make your clutch like new again.

Vic

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
I was wondering where the clutch should start to engage as you letout the clutch lever? Mine seems to not engage untilthe leveris over half way out. I don't get any slipping at any rpms even when really getting on the gas. I have a 84 Aspencade. I was just curious. Was wondering if I should start looking for clutch plates to replace this winter? Thanks, Randy
Randy, clutches seem to vary a little in the engagement / dis-engagement points between bikes & models. Someplace in the middle of lever travel should be fine.

A lot of old Wing owners complain of the clutch release being too close to the hand grip (mainly due to air in the system, or wear on the lever parts). The more air in the system the closer to the bar the clutch releases. There is a little bushing in the clutch lever that the master cylinder push rod fits into & if that wears it also lowers the engagement point closer to the hand grip. In your case with a higher release point that pretty well says no air in the system & the bushing is not worn..

Your slightly higher release point probably has nothing to do with clutch wear as those are self compensating so even wear doesn't change the engagement pointmuch.

An after market clutch lever can have some effect on lever position at release point, So can a plugged take up port in the master cylinder as that can trap some extra fluid in the cylinder itself.

As long as your clutch doesn't slip at launch or high speeds & there is a slight amount of free play in the lever when released you are good to go.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks everyone, clutch slave cylinder changed middle of last summer by PO just before I purchased it. Fluid should be OK I would think. I am going to look at the bushing etc. and see if everything is right at that end. Maybe I am too fussy and since it is my first Goldwing I have nothing to benchmark it against. I appreciate the patience with my continuing questions.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
Thanks everyone, clutch slave cylinder changed middle of last summer by PO just before I purchased it. Fluid should be OK I would think. I am going to look at the bushing etc. and see if everything is right at that end. Maybe I am too fussy and since it is my first Goldwing I have nothing to benchmark it against. I appreciate the patience with my continuing questions.
Randy, just look for a slight amount of lever free play when the clutch is fully engaged, if you have any play at all then the clutch is fully engaged (at least from the levers point of view).. If you want to lower the initial engagement point so the clutch engages closer to the hand grip justpull that small bushing out that contacts the master cylinder push rod & drill it's hole slightly deeper (very slightly as a few thousandths makes a big change).. I lowered mine that way so it is more comfortable in stop & go traffic..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Twisty, sounds like a great idea. I think it would definitely make it easier when constantly having to use the clutch in traffic. Will look into this and see if I have what it takes to drill it out or take it to work and let the machinist do it for me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
Twisty, sounds like a great idea. I think it would definitely make it easier when constantly having to use the clutch in traffic. Will look into this and see if I have what it takes to drill it out or take it to work and let the machinist do it for me. Thanks.
hockeydad33, if you use a drill bit dull it a little first so it won't grab & drill too deep before you can stop it. I set mine up in my Bridgeport mill & used a small end mill & used the lower knee table degree wheel to control the depth of the cut. Possibly a small Dremel cutter burr on the Dremel would allow you to work it down a little without going too deep..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
imported post

hi randy,ive been haveing similar troubles on my 84 aspy,changed the fluid copletely through the system,made no difference,any way ive found out its the brass insert on the clutch lever its worn and is a common fault as our bikes are now 22yrs old the wear catches up...ive ordered mine for £3.00 from david silver spares ,only thing is im in the u.k. even so you will get the part over there im sure?;)all the best,bri,sunderland,uk.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Mine starts to bite about half-way out and always has for me. Idoubtifthe amount of miles on the clutch plates might have a bearing on this as the hydraulic clutch is self-adjusting, but different GL1200's will have a different feel anyway.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Played with mine a bit, oiled the pivot pin and the lever releases at the same point but it moves easier and is more comfortable. I really appreciate all the input from everyone. Have a good weekend, I can't ride this weekend and it is suppose to be great weather. I have to got to a wedding of the daughter of an old school mate. We were never that close but the wife says we go. I will make her pay for that somehow. Ride safe, have fun. Randy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.