Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys just need to know- a budy of mine needs clutch replacement on his 1983 GL 1100- just curious -does the engine have to come out for replacement

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

You sure it is the clutch and not the hydraulic mechanism that actuates the clutch? Engine removal is necessary to replace the clutch at least on the 1982 Goldwing and removal isn't really that hard it just takes some time if you have a manual it will help tell you how and what to remove step by step. The only hard part was getting the snap ring off the drive line I used right angle snap ring pliers it's tight and a little hard to see. Biggest problem was when the snap ring came off it popped out of the pliers and I thought it went out of the shop and into the yard because I couldn't find it :shock:! I got to looking and found it went into the drive shaft universal. A magnet got it out and the rest went smooth. The exhaust has to be removed so you will want to spray the exhaust nuts with penetrating oil work them 1/8 turn back and forth to get them free if they are stuck and on the side with the shifter the frame come out. You will need a floor jack to balance the engine on at least it makes it easier. engine will come out on the side of the shifter. I recommend removing the carbs or unbolt them and let them hang and removing the radiator. One last thing disconnect the battery before you tear into it. Good Luck!

Norman

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

I need to put on my glasses. I thought you had a 1984 Goldwing. I think that is the year that they came out with hydraulic cluthes but I' not sure.

Norman
:cool:notice the glasses?!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Yes, 1984 was the first year for hydraulic clutches. So his 1983 would be mechanical.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

:)Thanks guys i suspected that- just wanted to see if anyone had done it without taking engine out- again Thanks for info-

CRAIGA

Attachments

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

No reason why you shouldn't have the engine pulled and the clutch out in a day CRAIGA, once you have all the tools and are any way competent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.