Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Clutch slip at high r.p.m.

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Turboroadster 
#1 ·
3 and 4 gear clutch slip at 3000 and beter rpm whats the adjust.doesnt have plg screw n housing,help plz

#11 ·
Dennis, Where you been? Not sick I hope.
Your comment makes me think of a GL1200 I test drove years ago when I was looking for one to buy. It looked like a nice bike, run nice. I was going to take it for a spin around the block. Put it in gear and it didn't move for at least a whole second. You could let the clutch out and count to yourself, "a thousand one" and then it would go. I did not buy it but I always wondered what the problem was. I kind of think it must have worn through the rubber bushings in to the flange so deep it must have been close to cutting a circle out of the flange that the rubber bushings fit in. :oops:

#12 ·
Clutch is wore out ...
… it can transmit power in lower gears as gearing reduces load on clutch, engine power accelerates bike.
In 4th or 5th, bike is harder to accelerate but engine tries just as hard as before so clutch is over whelmed & slips.
It only gets worse.

#13 ·
Motor oil with friction modifiers won’t hold a stock 1000 clutch at 4-5k. With more cc’d and forced induction you’re hitting it lower I’m sure. If you don’t have oil with no modifiers it could be your issue. I forget the JASO numbers. Mine run good with Rotella 15-40 or Delo. Hope that’s your issue not the clutch.

#14 ·
any oil you buy, look at the back side for the circle, JASO oils do NOT have anything in the bottom half of that circle.... that is what you need for wet clutches...

I am using Rotella T6 5w40 with great results, no clutch slip, and very nice shifts.

the easiest thing you can do, is change the oil.
So try one that does not have any friction modifiers before you do any mechanical work.... just for grins, try the oil I use, can't hurt, and it just might help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.