Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:waving:Hello all and thanks for the tips I already got about my starter problem just by searching and reading. I think I've narrowed it down to the brushes? Slow cranking especially when hot.

Now, the problem with my clutch is, when I really get on the throttle hard, I have noticed the clutch slipping. I noticed this when I shifted into second gear going up a small incline and needed to get on it pretty hard due to surrounding traffic flow. I didn't notice the RPM but think it was in excess of 5K but not over 7K I'm pretty sure. Another thing I have noticed lately is my clutch lever does not return fully. I usually need to help it the last 1/8 inch (3.2/mm) or so.

Anyone out there have an oppinion as to weather I really have a problem with my clutch or not? I'm pretty sure I need to replace my clutch cable, but am I looking at a new clutch in the not to distant future also?

The bike is an 83 Aspencade with 90,000 miles (144840/km). I got the bike with about 77,000 miles on it but didn't notice any clutch slippage on it then.

Thanks for any input you may have!

This is a GREAT site!:clapper:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Welcom AZ. :waving:
If the clutch lever is already slack (not returning fully) combined with the slipping clutch looks like a new clutch is definitely on the cards.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Clutch has had it, you will have to replace it. Motorcycle clutches don't usually slip unless they are really past it, so you don't have an option.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you all for your replies!

The cable just being dirty is a possibility. It is most likely the original. My throttle cable broke about a year ago on my way to work so it wouldn't sruprise me if the clutch cable is going bad now. I'll check it out next weekend while I'm doing the starter brushes. Guess I'll hope for the best but plan for the worst.:?

Iv'e read conflicting opinions on how or even if you should lubricate your cables. Some say that it ends up causing more problems than not lubing them at all because of the dirt that ends up sticking to the lub after awhile. Anyone have any experience with this? I live in an extremely dusty (and hot) enviroment.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
Thank you all for your replies!

The cable just being dirty is a possibility. It is most likely the original. My throttle cable broke about a year ago on my way to work so it wouldn't sruprise me if the clutch cable is going bad now. I'll check it out next weekend while I'm doing the starter brushes. Guess I'll hope for the best but plan for the worst.:?

Iv'e read conflicting opinions on how or even if you should lubricate your cables. Some say that it ends up causing more problems than not lubing them at all because of the dirt that ends up sticking to the lub after awhile. Anyone have any experience with this? I live in an extremely dusty (and hot) enviroment.

Thanks again!
The dirt gets in anyway. If you don't have lube then the dirt acts like sandpaper rubbing away at everything. At least the lube will make the dirt slide along rather than cut for a good while.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Jason is right, the grits get in anyway. Better to have them sliding along on the oil instead of just grinding away dry.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Before lubing the cables you shouldinject them with a fast drying solvent to remove all the grime and crud, then inject them some fresh lubricant. Remove both ends of the cables before doing so and work the inner cable in and out to help move the cleaner and lubricant a little easier.

Vic

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

That all makes sense to me. I'll be sure to clean the cables out then lub them. Any recommendations on the lub? I know lub is made specifically for cables. Is it any better than WD-40 or something similar?

Thanks for the replies!

Bob W.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Hey AZWinger, there used to be a lube on the market called "Cable-ease" --I'll doublecheck the name-- it was specially designed to clean and lube cables plua came with a special adapter to clamp onto the cable endto allow easy use without excess lube getting anywhere but inside the cable jacket.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Morning AZ, I did some checking on the name of that cable lube from my earlier post and its called "Petrochem Cable Life Lubricant" and is available from Protectall at www.protectall.com

They have a cable care kit which is the picture above.

Hope this helps.

Mo

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

MoLeggs48, thanks so much for the info! I'll get some and try it out. I really appreciate all the help here.:clapper:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.