Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys, I am new to goldwings but have a problem. my 79 1000 was sitting for a year, i got it runing but now the clutch will not work. the cable is working but when you go to shift it into gear it just sounds like its tearing up the gears. has anyone had this problem after the bike has sat for a while, there was no problem when i parked the bike a year ago...

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if everything is working -- than i would say the clutch plates are stuck to gather. happens now and then on one thats been layed up for a while. just keep working the clutch . some times just rideing the bike will free them up when you put a load on the clutch. just my 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

Hi,
It sounds like maybe the plates are stuck togeather a little. If I were you I think I would put it on the center stand and jack up the rear tire a little so it will turn freely and then put it in 3rd gear or so and start the machine. Be very careful because of course the rear wheel will be driven.Hold in the clutch and apply the rear brake. Do this judiciously as you are not trying to overheat the rear caliper or rotor just break the clutch loose. Someone may have a better Idea but that is what I would try.
Good luck,
Greg

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys, I will give it a try. How hard is it to install a new clutch on a goldwing. I have worked on other bikes and curtley building a custom magna, so i can do the work just havent done much work on a goldwing (YET)

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

it can be done with the engine in the frame . its close , but do able. if you dont have a m/c lift table--- its a lay down job.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I did mine a year ago. I put it on the center stand and laid on the ground. The only thing I had to take off to get at some of the bolts was on the left side, the black cansiter that catches the over flow fluids from the carb. It was located behind the engine on the left side. Other than that , it was time consuming and you need a few ratched extentions to get to the top bolts. The swing on the ratch is about a guarter turn at a time on some of the bolts. You may have to use a piece of hardwood or a mental bar through the spokes to fetch up on the exhaust to get the pressure plate center bolt off. There is also a cloking tab on it and you may have to make your own socket for it. Have a read of this link. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=29273&forum_id=1&highlight=clutch+replacement I found it helpful for my 1100.

Brian

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

hi cemlhh! i had a problem like that when i had my 1100!
had put 20w50 oil in my bike the summer before i stored it ,came to this forum asked a few questions and decided to put 10w40 in my engine. made the motor run 10 minutes and then i heard a popping sound. the clutch had come back into place. never had a problem with it afterwards

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hey tracker i will give it a shot, I dont know what oil the last guy used i had planed on chaging it but havent got that far. I just got the bike.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Still more problems. Now I have no oil pressure. Installed a oil pressure gauge and its reading 0 not even moving the gauge. Looks like I will be pulling the motor and opening it up. I just dont get it. I started and ran the bike a few times for atleast 15 each time and the oil light never came on or did it over heat. I put it on a trailer and took it home after I figured out it wasnt shifting. get it home about 2 time I started it up the oil light came on and wont go off and it started over heating. Make sence why it would over heat and the clutch not working if no oil pressure, but the oil pressure light and over heating started after the clutch problem. the bike sat for a year but ran good before it was parked. any ideas guy? sorry to ramble

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I hate to state the obvious, but have you checked to make sure there is oil in the bike?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

sounds as if the oil pump drive chain might have gave it up. JB

·
Administrator
26,986 Posts
imported post

Could be that clutch material has clogged the oil pump pickup screen.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thats what I was thinking dave, I am just going to pull the motor and take a look. With all the other things I want to change on the bike like, belts, thermistat, clutch. It will just be easier to pull the motor and see what condtion it is really in. Thanks guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.