Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I thought I had a bad clutch switch as I was not getting any readings on my VOM meter. I removed it from clutch cylinder and looked it over and found a large spider web in the contact area. After removing the web from the switch and using some contact cleaner the switch works, on the bench. After installing it on the bike it still does not work. It looks as if the plunger is too short for the clutch handle to make enough contact to activate the switch. Is there a missing part? or is the switch worn to the point it will no longer function? It will work if I put a plastic shim betqween the switch plunger and the clutch handle. If I could glue a spacer onto that plunger it would work....but what glue to use...............hmmmmmmm. Any suggestions?See the pic below

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

Could be the lever pivot is worn so that it won't contact the switch.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

As far as I know the lever is a stock lever, but I don't know alot about the bike, I have had it less than a month and have been working on it since the purchase. The lever looks smooth where the button rides, but I don't see any signs of wear. Iwould thinkthe plastic would wear before the metal lever.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

Not wear where the lever contacts the switch but where the lever pivots on the bolt that holds it on.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Check the lever center pin like they have said. Get hold of the lever and try to move it around, if you see any play, time to replace the lever and pin.

I am betting though it is the clutch switch itself. It is quite common for the little plastic tip to wear a bit and not have enough travel to actuate the switch. Just a very tiny bit of wear as you have seen with your spacer is all it takes. A lot of the aftermarket levers also do not fit right.

You can maybe, oversize the hole just a tiny bit on the mounting part of the switch and install a star lock washer under the mounting screw to hold it secure, the lock star will bite into the plastic of the switch, move the switch up tight to the lever and secure it.

If it still will not work, off to the shop for a new switch. They are about 12 to 20 dollars depending on the bike.

Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.