Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I keep on hearing about those guys that run car tires on the rear but it appears they are keeping their cards real close to their chests, so I'm asking the questions outright. It all sounds pretty cool on the face of it, brings to mind better traction and improved engine braking but no-one has mentioned handling on the twisties, my 40 years of riding tells me that's why motorcycle tires are "U" shaped.

What size tires do YOU use on your year model and tire size? are they regularly available and now that you have it? how comfortable do you really feel keeled over and scratching foot boards on your bike? (obviously I'm not talking trikes and sidecars here) c'mon guys give it up, I know this is "in your face" but somebody had to ask the real questions.

We ain't asking for the secrets of the Sith Lords, Just what it's really like to have a car tire on the back of your gold wing and which models are possible, damn we could all just do it and try it out but in the spirit of this forum, damn,share your information guys!

You all wanna say you did it but fromeverything I've seen and heard here, "results" appear to be seriously lacking in this area! :shock:

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

Well, that has been answered many times and I have just about quit replying to car tire threads because those who have never tried it get pretty testy about it but here goes.
If you on your motorcycle tire can keep up with me on my car tire in the twisties you are one hard riding fool.
BTW there is no car tire that will work on an 1100 or 1000 goldwing.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I was hoping you'dget backDave, I knew I'd get a straight answer, so what tire do you use and what do you know about what others can use? For 1200or later then?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking you could scrape the pegs with a tractor tire of the right size on a wing.
LOL

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

I use a BF Goodrich G force super sport 205/55 16 on my 1800. Lots of threads on tires for 15 & 1800s. I learned a lesson trying it on a 1200 but others have had success. Here is my testimony on that; http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/125032.html

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

chilidawg wrote:
You all wanna say you did it but fromeverything I've seen and heard here, "results" appear to be seriously lacking in this area!
You're kidding, right? If you type 'Darkside' into the search engine on the Home page you'll find 2 years worth of reading of guys using CTs and those trying to dissuade them.

And then there's the Darkside Forum: Riding the Darkside

I spent months reading and watching Youtube videos of Darksiders demonstrating the CT on a bike before putting the Austone on my Wing.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I did that, came up with a Movieand a computer game, still no answers from you guys, or results, except of course from Dave, the most guy most eligable to "give it up" what's up dudes, ya'all got something to hide?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
chilidawg wrote:
You all wanna say you did it but fromeverything I've seen and heard here, "results" appear to be seriously lacking in this area!
You're kidding, right? If you type 'Darkside' into the search engine on the Home page you'll find 2 years worth of reading of guys using CTs and those trying to dissuade them.

And then there's the Darkside Forum: Riding the Darkside

I spent months reading and watching Youtube videos of Darksiders demonstrating the CT on a bike before putting the Austone on my Wing.
I also spent months of reading and asking questions before going to THE DARKSIDE! And I drag my Kury Eurgo mounts in the twisties. NO MORE Boards for me. They drug way too soon on the E3s for my riding. I pulled the rider boards in the first 6 months. Pulled the lighted highway boards off for Duallys in Aug just before my 13,000 miler through Flagstaff mtns, Durango and the Million Dollar Highway, (4 days riding the mtns in CO) up into WI, They have the best Darksider cookies! then to NH and Bar Harbor's Cadillac Mtn, then down to W VA for 2 days riding old 2 laners(one no one else had been on in several days, covered with leaves, old 55) the 55/28, 150 and past Snoeshoe at 30 degs, down through the east TN mtns for 4 days, ran the Snake and Dragon and the Smokies N park to name a few. All on a CT. Actually Double Darkside.
And there isn't much chicken strips on my tires, only limited by clearance of the short rear CT I used. Bridgestone EL400 195/60R16 on the 1500. Will go to a Vredestien if I can get one next, 175/75R16 for the taller profile or the Austone 175/85R16 if the Vredestein is gone before tomorrow(I know someone that has 1 stashed).

CT for me.:action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

OMG!!:yelling::yelling::yelling:Don't do it!!!! You'll die, even before you ride on them. The transmission will explode and shrapnel from the transmission will kill people for a five mile radius. :whip::whip:Heat from the flexing CT will set the gas tank on fire.:whip::whip:Ooooh Nooo, don't do it, don't cut the red wire.:praying:May the good Lord save us, next you'll ask about oil.:shock::shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

You KNOW what they will say: EVERYONE SHOULD USE A CAR TIRE, AND IF THEY DON'T, THEY ARE STUPID!!

I have seen that posted many times, AND its just one reason I won't.

Bill

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Except for the ones who say, "Everyone shoulduse a motorcycle tire and if they don't...":ROFL::ROFL:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
OMG!!:yelling::yelling::yelling:Don't do it!!!! You'll die, even before you ride on them. The transmission will explode and shrapnel from the transmission will kill people for a five mile radius. :whip::whip:Heat from the flexing CT will set the gas tank on fire.:whip::whip:Ooooh Nooo, don't do it, don't cut the red wire.:praying:May the good Lord save us, next you'll ask about oil.:shock::shock::shock:

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: OMG! For an ol' coot you sure are funny! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

chilidawg wrote:
I did that, came up with a Movie and a computer game, still no answers from you guys, or results, except of course from Dave, the most guy most eligable to "give it up" what's up dudes, ya'all got something to hide?
Nope I don't think any of the dark siders have anything to hide. I think most of us are tired of trying to convince people that have not tried it to do it just one time. I read all that I could about the CT before making the decision to switch. You are wanting info on people who have the CT on there regular wing and not a trike......well mine is a trike (tow pac) and I like the feel of the CT on the wing. Would I put one on the wing if it was not a trike..........Yep I would !!!!

Ride Safe Always!!!!

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Chilidawg: here's the link to the Darksiders http://mcdarksiders.com/Home.html
You wont find any video games here. A lot of the site is conversation, but it is divided into model specific sections and there's a lot of info here. In addition there as several videos of the CT's as they are being ridden on the road. These were shot with video cams mounted underneath the bike to give a clear view of how the tire performs on the highway. FWIW I have not put as many miles on mine as I would have liked to (probably 16K miles) in the past 2+ years I have had it on, but I have ridden in every kind of weather except snow in all sorts of situations, and have not found any situation where the CT was not superior to the MT. The choice is up to the rider, but there's a large body of experience and knowledge about this topic now available, which was not the case several years ago. I am surprised the tire companies and the touring and cruiser bike manufacturers have not responded by making a more suitable, high mileage, high load capacity tire for this application.
YMMV
Mikeyrx

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

:fishing:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

GL1800: Falken 912 205/55/16 44 psi NRF

no issues, no problems, I like it...:?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
:fishing:
:laughing:.... exactly Bob!!! :ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
imported post

mikeyrx wrote:
Chilidawg: here's the link to the Darksiders http://mcdarksiders.com/Home.html
You wont find any video games here. A lot of the site is conversation, but it is divided into model specific sections and there's a lot of info here. In addition there as several videos of the CT's as they are being ridden on the road. These were shot with video cams mounted underneath the bike to give a clear view of how the tire performs on the highway. FWIW I have not put as many miles on mine as I would have liked to (probably 16K miles) in the past 2+ years I have had it on, but I have ridden in every kind of weather except snow in all sorts of situations, and have not found any situation where the CT was not superior to the MT. The choice is up to the rider, but there's a large body of experience and knowledge about this topic now available, which was not the case several years ago. I am surprised the tire companies and the touring and cruiser bike manufacturers have not responded by making a more suitable, high mileage, high load capacity tire for this application.
YMMV
Mikeyrx
I think the answer to that is LAWYERS.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Certainly the legal aspect is important, and as you propose, it may be the main reason. Certainly no manufacturer would go against the advice of their legal department and say that their "car" tires are suitable for ANY other uses. Note that there are tires specifically for trailers, and light trucks, etc. and they all look basically the same to me. I wonder how much difference there actually is (other than load rating) or the usual differences due to price point. Anyone with any "expert" knowledge out there ?

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Like Dave, I'm kinda tired of the threads, so i don't say much, anymore. I run a Michlien Sport AS 205/55Z16, I can scrap pegs all day long (but not near as much as Dave!) it handles much better than any MC tire I've ever ran, it stops better, and hauls weight better and lasts longer. It's your choice if it's for you. Also, if your trying to do a forum search, don't do it on a google or other search bar, only use the forum search bar, and you won't get the movies. Here are some of the results from the forum search;

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > Rims are now powder coated!!!! And now Installed!!! (38 replies - 982 views) Sun Oct 23rd, 2011

I got the rims on the bike this afternoon and really like the look. And now I have officially gone "Double Darkside" with the Battl-Ax BT-45 (reverse mounted of ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > I got a chance to meet SmartBiker tonite and get my tires mounted (10 replies - 260 views) Fri Oct 21st, 2011

SmartBiker had got in touch with me from another thread on mounting tires. He had seen that I was going to need tires mounted on my ...

Goldwing Technical Forum > Studded / Winter tyres (10 replies - 431 views) Sun Oct 9th, 2011

Ice, Snow, and wind come to mind for that time of year. especially that far north. The wintersport tire is a good darkside ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > Rear "Blow out" @ 70 MPH!!!! GL 1500 (43 replies - 1149 views) Fri Sep 30th, 2011

Predator wrote: How in the world do you plug a hole the size of a dime??????????? That was what I was thinking. What type of ...

Fun Forum > Deer alerts???? (6251 replies - 182202 views) Tue Sep 27th, 2011

I just do too many Twisty Windy roads to go to the Darkside. Although many say you get used to them. I personally just can't ...

Goldwing Technical Forum > car tire works (17 replies - 455 views) Wed Sep 14th, 2011

what tire is that and how do you like it?Was it difficult to mount?Im thinking darkside! ...

Goldwing Technical Forum > Gl1500 Wheel and tire on a 1200 (3 replies - 125 views) Sun Sep 11th, 2011

I have no experience doing the conversion but can shed some light on the sizes. As far as tire sizes, you can play around with ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > My Metezler has a bump (24 replies - 512 views) Thu Sep 8th, 2011

I've had bridgestones and Dunlops, they both are good. I've never tried the metzlers but I'm fairly certain after reading a lot of ...

Goldwing Technical Forum > tire survey, lets put it to rest (16 replies - 536 views) Mon Sep 5th, 2011

You're playing with fire there Don. If you want a darkside only forum, go to the gl1800riders site. Everyone (even those with no clue) ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > I'm fed up… And I'm done! (64 replies - 2262 views) Thu Sep 1st, 2011

dheaton wrote: I realize that this thread is kinda old but I have a tire question for you all. I have a 2004 goldwing and have ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > Questions about shopping for used GW (20 replies - 618 views) Wed Aug 31st, 2011

I can't say anything about the 1500, but when I just sat on my 04 1800 I had to have her. I looked at ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > Centramatic Balancers (23 replies - 802 views) Sat Aug 20th, 2011

I had dunlops as the first set, lasted me at least 10,000 miles and my experience is much the same as others. put stones ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > going to the darkside (9 replies - 356 views) Wed Aug 17th, 2011

Here are commonly used ones: 175x60x16 formoza, by federal (FD2 175/60 R16 82H TW) http://www.ityre.com/en/tyres/catalog/federal/model/20823/ $134 SP Wintersport 3D RunOnFlat http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Winter+Sport+3D+RunOnFlat&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=76HR6WS3DROF&tab=Sizes $143 175R16 Austone Taxi https://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html $89 ZIEZ ZE-912 195/55 R16 87V Rim Protection BSW http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=41604200.135.22048&typ=R-148773&ranzahl=4&Breite=195&Herst=Falken&Quer=55&Felge=16&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=135 ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > What I learned in Sturgis... (52 replies - 2116 views) Mon Aug 15th, 2011

I just got back from a 10 day, 4073 mile trip to South Dakota, with a side trip to Wyoming and Montana. I went with ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > My journey to the Darkside (65 replies - 2284 views) Tue Aug 9th, 2011

Ok, so I had been planning on going to the darkside for some time now, but since my back tire got punctured by a nail ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > 1500 tire (0 replies - 102 views) Fri Aug 5th, 2011

Just looking for some feed back on a bridgestone G702 has anybody ran one and if your experience with it. last tire before the darkside. ...

Goldwing Technical Forum > Need some advise 1500 (8 replies - 280 views) Thu Aug 4th, 2011

The dirt was mud came home in the rain yard just muddy. Just trying to put a reason to it only cupping on one side? ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > Look what my wife just bought... (38 replies - 1024 views) Thu Jun 16th, 2011

IMO the headlights are too small and dim, but i've never ridden one. I've talked with a few owners and they like them. ...

Fun Forum > Answer a Question with a Question (12524 replies - 161040 views) Wed Jun 15th, 2011

Sure are you really going over to the darkside? ...

Goldwing Technical Forum > questions about the GL1800 going to the Darkside (16 replies - 477 views) Fri May 27th, 2011

I have been looking at going to the darkside ever since i heard about it before I got my wing. That was about a year ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > Tire Bead Breaker (11 replies - 758 views) Fri May 20th, 2011

I got the old Elite II tire removed earlier this week. The bead breaker worked, though a bit clumsy. Maybe I should read the instructions...or try ...

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum > Federal Formoza 175/60R16 (13 replies - 1156 views) Thu May 5th, 2011

AZgl1500 wrote: Dunlop Wintersport ROF Radial 175/60/16. Zeis 912, 195/55/16 Formoza FD2 175/60 R16 82H TW. The Zeis is too wide but the other 2 are doable.... Rudy ...

Gene:action:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.