Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model: 76 gl1000.
Bought this bike, and a new wire harness from some canada seller. Bike already had Dyna electric instead of breaker points. Coil had a 6 pin pigtail yet the diagram says there's only two wires supposed to be coming from the coils.

What do I do?

·
Administrator
25,338 Posts
The coils should have 3 wires,(not counting the plug wires) a power wire going to both and a breaker wire from each. No idea why there would be 6 wires.

·
Administrator
25,338 Posts
No idea why 6 wires, the wiring diagram shows 4, a black/white to each coil, yellow to the right coil, blue/yellow to the left coil. Memory says the black/white goes in to the resistor then back out & through the kill switch then back to the coils. so that accounts for 1 more. If I was there I could wire it in a jiffy but difficult for me to tell you how. Determine which are to the resistor, wire power from the kill switch to 1 of them then the other end to the black/white to both coils. Then of course the trigger wires to the yellow & blue /yellow.

·
Administrator
25,338 Posts
After sleeping on it, it's strange those coils have spade connectors, the originals had bullet connectors.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Seems to me the capacitors for the point ignition are up under the shelter remote from the coils. This could account for two more connections..... Been 15 yrs since I had a GL1000 around here though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Cant be 100% but looking at those the wires would have been in a block connector and i know that the resistor was cut out of circuit and battery connected direct whilst starting to get better spark.
I have a UK genuine Honda manual here and will go look at wiring diagram for you.

Just remembered my books are out on loan, will get them back Saturday and let you know

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Administrator
25,338 Posts

·
Administrator
58,732 Posts
not guaranteeing the accuracy of this, but I have a copy of a color schematic

Honda Goldwing GL1000 1975 to 1977 Color Schematic.jpg
This Thumbnail view "should" blow up larger than the image below.
if not, just download to your computer.

Honda Goldwing GL1000 1975 to 1977 Color Schematic.jpg

·
Registered
247 Posts
OK, found my manual with diagrams which dont help BUT also found a set of coils i took off a GL 1000 special edition and yes there are 6 wires,
Two black/white for power in
One yellow to one set of points
One blue/yellow to other set of points
One cloth covered black and
One cloth covered black with a "tube" on it(colour long gone)
These last two go from the ballast resistor(bolted to the coils) to connectors then into loom.
You will find the resistor on the diagram above but nowhere near the coils.
If you dont know what the ballast resistor does
When engine running power from ignition circuit goes through the resistor to the 9v coils dropping the battery voltage to that required by coils.
When starting the resistor is bypassed and full battery voltage(which has dropped to about 10v cos the starter is turning) is supplied to the coils.

This, in theory, gives a better spark at cranking for quicker starting.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Picture of coils i found with resistor attached. If you look on the wiring diagram given that resistor is way over by yhe startand kill switch! Obviously the connectors on the OP bike have been changed
20200516_143841.jpg

·
Administrator
25,338 Posts
The wiring takes a very long route through several connectors, no wonder they had to make a bypass for starting. It goes from the ignition switch, through the resistor to the kill switch and back to the coils. I remembered I have a set of 1000 coils, the power goes to each coil separately, that's why there are 6 wires. 1 in to the resistor( the one with the band on it, out of the resistor, black wire, in to the coils, 2 black/white wire, the yellow, front cylinders, blue/yellow, rear cylinders.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts