Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've just completed the rebuild of my carbs and am in the process of checking out the primary ignition parts before putting it all back together. On Randakk's site he states that the resistance between caps 1 and 2 should total approx. 24,000 ohms, 14,250 for the coil and 5000 each for the plug wires. When checking my coils, they are off the bike, I get 17,500 on each, 3,000+ over what Randakk states for coils on the early 1000s. I'm working on a 82A. The plug wires are within specs at 5,000 ohms. Would the coil and plug values be different for the 1100s from the 1000s? Thanks....Dan

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

per manual testing coils doesn't include wires at least they are not mentioned...

primary is .4 +/- .04
secondary 80 or 81 22K +/- 5 K
82 16.5 +/- 1.67

so yep they are different

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Sounds like yours are good from the specs RB posted.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I believe the coils for a points ignition and pointless have different resistance. The early ignitions I believe use an external resister.,,

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Correct the stock 1000 has a ballast resistor to reduce the DC power going into the coils while running. The only time they get full power is when the starter button is engaged to provide a hotter spark for starting. This just a method of extending the life of the coils and should not have any impact on reading out the primaries. I think the difference is just in the manufacturing process of the coil itself.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the quick replies. This is what I need to know to get on with putting her back together. Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.