Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have one dead cylinder and I am not sure why. I have spark. And after testing the coils it seems that they are working. I am not sure how to deal with the carbs. I never worked with them before. But I am fast learner. Any suggestions on next step. The values have been adjusted. Did that last night.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Is the plug dry when you pull it? If you ca smell fuel on it and have a spark then a compression check is next.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Checked compression reading the same in all cylinders. About 125 have an old gauge.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Compression seems OK to me... I always go back to my highschool shop class. You have to have three things for combustion to occur: Ignition (spark), air, and fuel. If your spark checks out, all the way to the plug boot, then your problem sounds like carb related. Be sure to check that plug wire. You can buy a gizmo to plug into the plug boot which will light up if spark is present. I do things the old fashioned (and cheap) way. Pull a good plug (or use an extra if you have it), plug it into the plug wire of the cylinder not firing, hold it by the rubber plug in, and push it against the engine. Crank the engine over. You should be able to see a nice bright "arc" of light at the electrode. If ya' don't then your plug wire is shot. Don't freak if the bike starts up on two or three cylinders during the check. It won't hurt the engine. If this checks out. you're back to the carbs. Cleaning/ rebuilding them takes time and energy to do a good job but can be done at home (I'm doing a set right now). If you have not messed with the carbs before, use the Honda FSM, if you have it, or buy Howard Halasz's Carburetor Repair Guide (one of the best I've seen) at Randakk's Cycle Shakk. It's like 40 bux but worth it and will walk you step-by-step through the entire process. Good luck and let us know what you find out. Respects, Squirts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.