Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Talked to Dyna tech support re: new coils for my wing. They said I needed to look in owners manual to see what ohm the coils were on my bike. I am a bit comfused??? I looked on downloaded electrical schematic and it does not indicate ohmsand it also shows a resistor wired in the coil area. Can someone enlighten me a bit? Thanks

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

Primary resistance is 0.4 ohms
secondary is 16.7K ohms.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

abnormal 1 wrote:
It has been awhile , but I believe that has a step down resisistor and 9v coils
Earlier Gold Wings (GL1000) used the ballast resistor, points and relatively high restance coil (a few ohms)of the typical old school systems.. the GL1100 does not..

For the interested.. keep reading

True, there is a resistor in the GL1100 coil circuit (internal to the spark box or later it was external), but this is part of theElectronic Ignition system, not a typical step down ballast resistor (like old school systems).. A good EI system uses a very low resistancecoil (less than 1/2 ohm.. like the Goldwing).. and the primary side of the coils are not voltage rated per se.. if you were to measure the voltage across the primary of a Gold Wing coil when it is not firing, it would be justfew volts.. the resistor mentioneedis to limit average/DC current through the coil.. It would burn up if it was given 12 volts very long... but when it fires, the sparkbox gives it a pulse (usually negative) of "more" than 30 volts... (somelate model EI systems give negative pulses ofa 100 volts or more)

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

So , the dyna coil is a 3 ohm coil ( DC1-1 )---does this sound like the correct one? They make a higher ohm rated unit but it does not seem to be tied into Goldwing applications.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

namsgt1946 wrote:
So , the dyna coil is a 3 ohm coil ( DC1-1 )---does this sound like the correct one? They make a higher ohm rated unit but it does not seem to be tied into Goldwing applications.
That sounds like it is made for the GL1000 system, not the 1100.. I'll do some more checking..

Edit.. after some checking, I do see that these (and others) advertize this same coil as replacement for the GL1000 and GL1100... Maybe it will work, but the primary resistance (3 ohms) of these replacement coils do not match the OEM (0.4 ohms)... Personally, I would be suspect.. you may have to chenge some other components of the system to get optimum performance..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.