Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, just like my 305 Super Hawk and my CB450, my '86 Interstate (carburetted) is a cold-blooded beast and takes several minutes of enriched warm-up to start running normally.
Does anyone know if a hotter plug would help cold-running conditions?
If so, how can I identify a hotter plug? What to ask for?

Thanks,

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

edpare wrote:
Well, just like my 305 Super Hawk and my CB450, my '86 Interstate (carburetted) is a cold-blooded beast and takes several minutes of enriched warm-up to start running normally.
Does anyone know if a hotter plug would help cold-running conditions?
If so, how can I identify a hotter plug? What to ask for?
Fair questions. Most of my bikes (carburetted) have been 'cold blooded' over the years; as have the old cages. Modern fuel injection has spoiled us (or finally found a way to manage the problem).

Personally, I would advise against playing with heat ranges for spark plugs, just for start-up reasons. When first started, all plugs are the same temp as the engine, and there is no danger of overheating. I do not know if it would help or not, but my guess is...not a whole lot. Some help might be realised if one were to switch to a good, HV ignition system. Couldn't swear to it though.

Plug heat ranges exist primarily for when engines are up to normal operating temperatures, and they ways engines are being used.

If you change to a 'hotter' heat range, you would need to be more careful about driving fast for long periods of time, until it has been studied, or you risk serious piston damage for sure.

I saw the piston damage to a Harley Sportster once. As usual, it was the rear cylinder, and my mate didn't read the manual about spark plug use. He blew a hole clean thru the rear piston, and the free aluminum got into the entire oil pump/lube system...

I believe that Honda (actually most engine makers) does recommend alternate heat ranges, for abnormal, extendedrunning conditions. :waving:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.