Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went for a ride yesterday on a 60 degree day two days after Christmas:)I had not started my wing for about a couple of months so I was not surprised that I had to jump start. The problem is that it took a while for the motor to catch and when it did I could not use the choke or touch the throttle it would stall. When first running it was at very low RPM's so I did not touch anything and let the engine warm up. After warm it ran fine.

Earlier this year I had a simular problem but it would catch right away but it would seem the choke would stall out the engine. After a couple attempts the choke would operate fine. Is this a symptom of being cold hearted or should I make adjustments to the choke? If so how?

Once the engine warms up I have plenty of power and throttle response. Thanks for your attention.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I would guess the idle jets are plugged up or restricted in either by adjustment or gunk.

Could be Vacuum hose, or an air leak at the turn downs either at the airbox or the engine.

Could also be a blocked air filter. Too much fuel, no air, floods out the plugs, check the plugs too, they might be bad.

Kit

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Does a low battery have anything to do with the way it will run when first started?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Sometimes it can yes and or a bad connection at the battery. Kit

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

My 77 is a bear cat to get started when its cold and has set for a month. I've checked the plugs and they are usually dry after a short amount of cranking.

So I attribute it to a lack of fuel. Carbs most likely dry as fuel evaporates, and takes time to pull fuel into the carb/chamber. Coupled with long intake runners etc.

Only an issue when cold and set for a month or so. I wouldn't worry about it, yours symptoms sounds like mine and others with this vintage of bike.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

My 77 is a bear cat to get started when its cold and has set for a month. I've checked the plugs and they are usually dry after a short amount of cranking.

So I attribute it to a lack of fuel. Carbs most likely dry as fuel evaporates, and takes time to pull fuel into the carb/chamber. Coupled with long intake runners etc.

Only an issue when cold and set for a month or so. I wouldn't worry about it, yours symptoms sounds like mine and others with this vintage of bike.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

True, plugged carb jets can hinder starting.

However, I have found a weak battery can give you the impression that the carbs are bad and all the choking is useless. Make sure the battery has a good charge. Checking the connections for corrosion is good too.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

1100 can be a bitch to start when its cold....i just had this happen on my 15...wow!
never done this but its been cold in cal. last few wks....also the starter turned slow
found out i have to floor my choke and never had to go more than 50%....but the slow cranking was just the cold and my pwr/grnd cables aging...but the batt is good and i also have 20-50 in it and dont want to change oil wt cause i dont ride that much in winter....might want to check your rotten 30 yr old power/grnd cables

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a good idea to keep a battery tender attached in cold weather. Only guessing as it never gets cold here.....:))

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for all of the response. My battery was normally fully charged when starting earlier this year and after the motor has warmed up it runs perfectly. Trying to find out the function of the choke and how it affects the carb. Is there a seperate adjustment for the choke? thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.